News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everybody,

Once again I'm seeking help about a group of medals I have recently purchased.
    The group is a Defence Medal, 1953 Coronation Medal and a GVI Police LSGC Medal named to "Inspr. Harry Shaw".

With the group is the box containing his Defence medal addressed to "Mr. H. Shaw, 3 Grasmere Road, Bennett Lane, Dewsbury."

Any information on Inspector Shaw, and which Police Force he served with, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Given the address I thought it might be Dewsbury which existed as a force until 1968 when it became part of West Yorkshire Police.

The 1953 Coronation Roll shows him as an Inspector in - CB DW which I assume could be County and Borough Force Dewsbury (see attached).

I looked at the 1951 Police Almanac but couldn't find Shaw in the West Riding forces. That shows Dewsbury Division under Yorkshire West Riding (even though it was then a separate force).

Edited by Odin Mk 3

David

Although the Police Almanac does show some Inspectors in a number of the Police Forces it does not include all of them. In fact for some forces it doesn't go down to that level (eg Met Police).

Attached is the entry for Dewsbury from the Police Almanac 1951. It indicates all the police stations and those with an * have a Sergeant in charge (which to me implies the others have an Inspector)

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Those Officers etc who are shown in the illustrated Police Almanac entry for 1951 will be members of the West Riding Constabulary (Dewsbury Division) and not members of the Dewsbury Borough Police. There will be a stand alone entry for the Borough Police.

Dave.

• 6 months later...

Hi there cat

Just as a matter of interest I actually have in my possession an early Dewsbury Police medal with coat of arms obverse and inscribed on reverse " PRESENTED TO DETECTIVE INSPECTOR J SHAW FOR 25 YEARS FAITHFUL SERVICE, another such medal belongs to a friend of mine who also owns an identical medal which is named to an Inspector. There was one also presented to the Police Fire Brigade Supt as well, but getting to the point of this topic The Dewsbury Library actually held service records for members of the Dewsbury Police.

This I know because I wrote to the Library who furnished me with copy records to Det Inspr Joseph Shaw and also gave me copies of two other Shaws one of which may have been to a H Shaw. I will check my docs for Inspr Jos Shaw and see if I hold copies for Inspr Harry Shaw as this name ring a bell and it could well be they are father and son. Will get back to you on this one.

Yours Tony

HI THERE

I HAVE IN MY POSSESSION A LIVERPOOL CITY POLICE SILVER 1897 DIAMOND JUBILEE NAMED TO INSPECTOR ROBERT DOUGLAS [sTILL AN INSPR IN 1911 CENSUS]

ALSO A WIGAN BOROUGH POLICE LONG AND GOOD SERVICE MEDAL TO POLICE CONSTABLE W MORGAN JOINED 28 / 4 /1921.

I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANYTHING ON THESE TWO OFFICERS IE SERVICE DETAILS PHOTOS ANYTHING OF INTEREST.

MANY THANKS

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...

Cat. From my list of obituaries in W Yorks Police publications: Harry Shaw. D Insp died 29 October 1989 aged 87. Sadly his force isnt listed and the roll covers all constituent forces of what's now West Yorkshire.