News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1915 Trio + LSGC RMLI/RM

At present I am, again, involved in 3rd Reich stuff, mainly dating pre 1940.

In the past I was the custodian of a vast collection of RN medals to many campaigns and finaly to the complement of H.M. Royal Yachts, and I still maintain a large collection of RN insignia.

But the set of medals, which got me going in collecting British Naval medals, and which kept me going for 30 years, was this little insignificant group, which I bought at an OMRS-Convention many decades ago, for a few pennies.

After more than 30 years, and Internet, nothing has come up do disclose the man behind the medals, but a named photo I picked up in Camden Market (and which brought me over the moon!).

The set:

1914/15 Trio (named to CH.16972 S.J. Dunk, Cpl. RMLI

Naval LS&GC (straight suspender), (named to CH.16972 S.J. Dunk, Cr.Sgt. RM

Many of the records have been destroyed, but I would like to know about his career and development in the RM.

Was he a "run of the mill man", who pulled his weight but nothing more, or was he - by carreer and fate - involved in actions and escapades for which no medals were given, but that made history change?

At least I am pleased that the medals have a face, a slight fact most medals have to do without.

Edited by Odulf

Yes a great find!

Isn't this his service record? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_fn=stephen&_ln=dunk&_no=&_sdb=&_edb=&_ser=ADM+159&_col=online&_dt=RM&image1.x=46&image1.y=17

I imagine you have a copy of the LSGC sheet, if not let me know.

A few years ago I bought an issue certificate for the Silver War Badge to a member of the Royal Marines, about a year ago his medals turned up on ebay and I won them, now I need to find his SWB. It's good being able to reunite items separated who knows how long ago.

Tony

Thanks Mervyn, and Tony for this useful link. :cheers:

I have his Service Records now.

At first glance noting spectacular. With a short break between 1935 and1938 he served from 1911 (enlisted as a Bugler) until discharged in September 1945 (as CSM, aged 49), so he must have qualified also for the War and Defence Medals, at least. However these are not mentioned in the Service Records.

In 1931 he claimed the MSM, but this was not recommended.

During the Great War he served in Chatham and as a fleet marine o/b HMS Duncan (battleship in the 6th Battle Sqdn) from Aug 1914 to Mar 1916 and in HMS Lancaster from Mar 1916 to mid Nov 1918 in the Pacific Fleet.

It is always very satisfying to reunite medals etc. when a group was broken up.

Sometimes by dealers or collectors, but also when the medals were divided amongst the children after their father died.

Edited by Odulf