News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

We've posted a lot of Imperial German photos, let's get the Austria-Hungary ball rolling too! Post your photos!

I really like this one of a Feldwebel (unknown regiment or branch) with a bronze FJ Tapferkeitsmedaille and a Mobilisierungskreuz 1912/13

He also has a good number of Kappenabzeichen on his Feldmutze. And a pretty wife with roses.

On the left: Zugsführer (unknown regiment/branch) with a FJ bronze Tapferkeitsmedaille. And a bayonet.

On the right: Zugsführer (unknown regiment/branch) with a Silbernes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone and a Militär-Jubiläumskreuz 1908. And a sword.

I am posting this fellow as much for his moustache as for his medals - which reminds me, Movember ended yesterday so time to get the razor out!

So, I'm seeing that this Feldwebel has:

Verdienstkreuz mit Krone

Verdienstkreuz mit Krone

Die Militärdienstzeichen für Unteroffiziere

Jubiläums-Kreuz 1908

Mobilisierungskreuz 1912/13

I wonder if it is unusual to have two Verdienstkreuz mit Krone... I can't tell, but perhaps one is Silbernes and the other Eisernes?

Edited by IrishGunner

I wonder if it is unusual to have two Verdienstkreuz mit Krone... I can't tell, but perhaps one is Silbernes and the other Eisernes?

I think you have hit the nail on the head, IrishGunner. From the attached image, the Silver cross is bigger with a larger central roundel, a difference I think I detect in the case of Feldwebel Schnurrbart.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, IrishGunner. From the attached image, the Silver cross is bigger with a larger central roundel, a difference I think I detect in the case of Feldwebel Schnurrbart.

Trooper, thanks for posting the medal images side by side; it makes the identification clear!

Great photo! And mustache. ;)

Both were common for non-combat position NCOs (paymaster, clerk, train etc.) I will show you a named portrait of a paymaster sergeant of the 69. IR with Silver Verdienstkreuz mit Krone.

The gold version was available for officers only.

Here's a good one...note the armband. The picture is a bit fuzzy from the iPad, but the cap badges are razor sharp.

Wow...one side shoulder cord, visorless field cap with Jagdhorn. Reitende Landschutz?

That would be my guess. the armband reads ( red line, black lettering..."Soldaten....And then the lower white band reads:" des Volkswehr.......before it gets cut off. Obviously the armband was red/white/red. The jaeger horn has a "20" within it. All the medals have clearly been reversed, so that one can not see the old monarchs' visage.

According the book of "Rolf M. Urrisk: Die Uniformen des österreichischen Bundesheeres 1918 - 1938" after the Volkswehr word shoud be stand the place-name on the armband.

The right side badge (worn together with the armband).

http://www.erdemrendek-kituntetesek.hu/tartalom/teljes%C3%ADtm%C3%A9ny-jelv%C3%A9ny

Nope. The main profile of the "Katonaújság" is the Horthy-era and the WWI. It is a pretty good magazine, but sadly now is close to the breakdown :(

I wrote my first "official" article to this magazine in 2011...

Silbernes Verdienstkreuz

Karl Truppenkreuz

Militär-Jubiläumskreuz 1908

Mobilizierungskreuz 1912-1913

The first is Militärverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse mit Kriegsdekoration. Otherwise he is a captain of a mounted unit.

The first is Militärverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse mit Kriegsdekoration. Otherwise he is a captain of a mounted unit.

Thanks for the assist! Also, now I see the ribbon also has Schwerten. I didn't notice he is an officer...

150px-OeMV3K.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner