News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

This Oberstleutnant  has Order of Takovo on his medal bar.  His second photo shows him with a Oberst rank and without Takovo order. Probably taken on the beginning or during  WW1.  Was there a directive that prohibited wear of Serbian orders or soldiers stopped wearing them individually?

img321.jpg

img322.jpg

• 10 months later...
    On 29/12/2014 at 13:24, Markgraf said:

Nice pictures! The third gentleman is probably the member of the Habsburg family. The last picture is a Royal Hungarian Army Lt. Col between 1929-1940.

The gentleman with the Golden Fleece and Leutnant rank must be a Habsburg 

• 3 weeks later...
    On 5/6/2016 at 05:18, The Prussian said:

Das ist das Kaffehaferl des k.u.k. Marineoberstleutnant Rudolf Slezak, meines Großvaters

That´s the coffee-cup of the k.u.k. Naval-Lt.Col. Rudolf Slezak, my grandfather

A Kaffehaferl is an austrian word for coffee-cup

Inside of this book you´ll find him. Unfortunately the names-index ends with "Sch", so I couldn´t find him.

You´ll have to read the entire book...

https://ia802704.us.archive.org/20/items/rangundeinteilu03marigoog/rangundeinteilu03marigoog.pdf

Marineoberstleutnant implies a technical officer 

On 3/6/2016 at 21:16, WJT said:

Ian,

I too was a sailor and a submariner. Thank for the info. I would like to know what awards my Great Opa received and any other information there might be about him.

Von Thronstahl

My Grandfather served from 1913 to 1918 but was on the U-4 from 1913 to 1916. He went to a surface ship in 1917 due to poor health. If you search "submarine" or "WJT" in this forum you will see his submarine badge. I see you are in Croatia. I was in Dubrovnik and Montenegro a few years back being interviewed for a documentary for Czech TV on the wreck of the Giuseppe Garibaldi and was able to walk in my Grand Opa's footsteps. 

Here is another photo of an officer a acquaintance of mine knew. He gave me the photo with a small cup from the KuK Kriegsmarine:

KuK-Officer.jpg

this officer belongs to a non executive branch. no curl over the top lace ring and colour cloth background to the lace rings . appears to be either the grey of engineering officers or the light blue of the accountants , the colour was crimson for technical , black for doctors and brown for clerks, 

On 30/1/2014 at 05:51, Markgraf said:

fortepan_18669.jpg

A group photo of battle-hardened Truppenpioniere (fortepan.hu)

The three men of the right are officers, and the other two probably are officers too all the five wears either blusen or overcoats without shoulder straps a distinctive feature of officers uniforms 

On 28/11/2013 at 13:36, IrishGunner said:

On the left: Zugsführer (unknown regiment/branch) with a FJ bronze Tapferkeitsmedaille. And a bayonet.

On the right: Zugsführer (unknown regiment/branch) with a Silbernes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone and a Militär-Jubiläumskreuz 1908. And a sword.

Zugsführer_medals_left_detail.jpg

Zugsführer_medals_obv.jpg

Zugsführer_medals_right_detail.jpg

Hello : I believe that the man of the right is a feldwebel . the lace on the collar patch is barely visible , and he carries a officers sword. the two men probably belongs to a unit of sappers . they wears jackboots , without spurs . 

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    On 23. August 2017 at 03:32, Bayern said:

Hello : I believe that the man of the right is a feldwebel . the lace on the collar patch is barely visible , and he carries a officers sword. the two men probably belongs to a unit of sappers . they wears jackboots , without spurs . 

Hi gents! 

Bayern you are right, this is a Feldwebel, but notice the cuff- stripe, so it is clear, that especially he is a Waffenmeister ( armorer ). According to regulations, this stripe is like the csako-braid for a Korporal ( 40 mm yellow silk, 2 black 1 mm stripes along the end each 2 mm far from the end), worn on both arms.

greetings from Vienna!

On 24. August 2017 at 01:29, Farkas said:

Hi Gents 

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.a1d2389c29f663975db53ba7878e1b89.JPG

IMG_2393.thumb.JPG.6022f6c3f3a1cba3c2bd1ccfdde81144.JPG

tony

Nice Faehnrich ( ensign)

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    6 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Bayern

You never fail to impress me...!

please can you tell me what you see??  

Thanks...

tony 

Hello , The man wears collar lace as the senior NCOs but with three rhomboid stars , not the six pointed of an army feldwebel 

18 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello , The man wears collar lace as the senior NCOs but with three rhomboid stars , not the six pointed of an army feldwebel 

thanks as always Bayern

tony

Hi gents

56EB9E1C-8239-4F98-9684-A47A43EBDF9F.thumb.jpeg.4a24262386c55e0b53c6c135b7381ffe.jpeg

62BC7269-29D0-424A-8000-84AA74EB69B0.thumb.jpeg.14a4a5bd52a28a47f8624d8c07601613.jpeg

8B2FF680-00D8-45BA-9A5C-4B6E71841228.thumb.jpeg.a155157c926e83bcede3be8326cddd9b.jpeg

tony 

4 hours ago, Farkas said:

thanks both...

Hi Gents

i think this one is mid war....

i have it with some feldposte from 1929/1931

tony

Sorry. But this is "Österreichische Heimwehr" from the interwar period. 

Kindest

Christian

Hello ,Farkas the last photo shows a Rittmeister of Dragoons , three stars on the collar, left shoulder cords ,and plain buttons. light blue tunic with regimental colour collar and cuffs , black salonhose, instead of the madder red breeches.

Buenos días Bayern.....

Brilliant !

how do you know all this?? Are you 126years old??

You realise that if I ever lived next door to you - you’d never get rid of me!!

Anyway....

As it’s about medals....

Assuming the first medal is a ‘1908 jubilee’  and the other two are on a blue or red ribbon and I think the third is a ‘signum laudis’.....what would you guess for them? 

And as it’s a tall hat which means earlier( i think )would you say the date for the pic is likely to be pre-war ?

cheers

tony

41 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Hello ,Farkas the last photo shows a Rittmeister of Dragoons , three stars on the collar, left shoulder cords ,and plain buttons. light blue tunic with regimental colour collar and cuffs , black salonhose, instead of the madder red breeches.

Hello again Farkas , The tall kepi of the man is a pre ww1 model . concerning to the medals I believe that the one next to the button is a Signum laudis with red peacetime ribbon and the third medal that of Franz Joseph conmemoration 1848 1908 .