News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

20 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello again Farkas , The tall kepi of the man is a pre ww1 model . concerning to the medals I believe that the one next to the button is a Signum laudis with red peacetime ribbon and the third medal that of Franz Joseph conmemoration 1848 1908 .

could the middle one be a 48 -98 jubilee medal ? or would he also have had others ie long service type decorations? just curious....

tony

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents

ive been looking at this for days!

DCB046AC-BDB6-44DC-8FF0-765FDD60EC13.thumb.jpeg.3b21f2c75d066de075e2a96776948873.jpeg

i looked through the whole of this thread - (which is awesome) - so I could do a bit more than just post the picture....

Rank.....I’m usually wrong! And based on this chart I see 2 or 3 that wouldn’t surprise me.

0169EDC3-39B1-4254-B68F-29742443DDD2.jpeg.8c459166172a20b1e475e0af813100ca.jpeg

my guess is,currently, he is a feldwebel ((but the line at the back of the collar is likely to be relevant. )?) 

However the medals as I see them  (poorly named sorry ...) are of an officer.?

.:::

EE74C99D-CE02-4DDE-B4CF-B49F021E83F0.thumb.jpeg.7a89c9724a20490244cea3b10a11496e.jpeg

Possibly medals are

a 1908  jubilee

verdiest kreuze (red enamel arms?)

military merit cross

the last of these was,I believe, only issued to officers...

———-

So If an NCO then maye the crosses are a 12/13 mobilisation and length of service .... but I really don’t think so... ribbon etc

——/

Anyway - thats the best I can do gents... !!

——:/

I think it’s a nice picture whichever

A37CB4E9-3488-41B9-8A60-93EEAF110B26.thumb.jpeg.f547248e3727f391c8e3461d57cd7867.jpeg

326A6A84-388D-47A3-88AF-9932E42977E8.thumb.jpeg.a78c32868282a68c53b3bb2ed3e6d8d2.jpeg

tony

EDIT

the date on the card is not relevant to the picture but the photo is likely to be of the man who sent it ...

Edited by Farkas

Dear Farkas , the date is relevant , November of 1918 ,a more relevant is the location . Mobil Epidemiespital . that is a hospital created to thecare of the thousands of victims of the  pandemia of Flu known as Spanish Flu .

The line at the back of the collar marks the unit of belonging . the old collar patches were replaced circa 1916 but not entirely with arm or branch of service stripes . that is what our man wears . of course he bears the rank of Feldwebel . 

Looking at the photo I think he has been awarded the either a silver and gold Verdienstkreuz or two silver/gold Verdienstkreuz.  It also appears as if the second Verdientskreuz may have a crown.  Last medal is definitely a 1908 Jubileekreuz.

My guess is he was a reservist who was recalled to serve during the war and therefore he has  no long service medal, 1913 mobilisation cross or other indications of 'long' service.

hi gents,

Thanks Bayern and Ian...

the feldpostekarte on this and the other pics on the other thread have all got writing on them underneath the photos, I,m pretty sure the photos were added at a later date. the others are post sent to the soldier pictured which then have made it back 'home'.   so I disregarded the dates in relation to when the photo was taken.  I had googled the bits I could read. 

I was reluctant to think the picture on the left of this card was the same man because of an apparent passing of time and lack of medals.... but puzzled why another man was attached to the same card.

reading both your replies I see a possibility that they are the same man....

As you say Ian, this could well be a reservist recalled, and, as you say Bayern, the date is significant in its own right and perhaps that is why he got the recall....  there are no other cards to or from him.

lastly, the middle award does hang lower than the first so perhaps because of a crown. looking at the original with a glass it would fit but even the original picture sadly isn't clear enough to be sure

thanks again both

best wishes

tony

22 hours ago, Bayern said:

Dear Farkas , the date is relevant , November of 1918 ,a more relevant is the location . Mobil Epidemiespital . that is a hospital created to thecare of the thousands of victims of the  pandemia of Flu known as Spanish Flu .

The line at the back of the collar marks the unit of belonging . the old collar patches were replaced circa 1916 but not entirely with arm or branch of service stripes . that is what our man wears . of course he bears the rank of Feldwebel . 

17 hours ago, Ian said:

Looking at the photo I think he has been awarded the either a silver and gold Verdienstkreuz or two silver/gold Verdienstkreuz.  It also appears as if the second Verdientskreuz may have a crown.  Last medal is definitely a 1908 Jubileekreuz.

My guess is he was a reservist who was recalled to serve during the war and therefore he has  no long service medal, 1913 mobilisation cross or other indications of 'long' service.

tony

• 4 weeks later...
    9 hours ago, Von Thronstahl said:

Are you the owner of this photo? I am interested because because he is Croatian.

5 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Beautiful set of photos Overture!

How do you know? I'm a rookie at KuK so I'd like to know when I see a fellow Croatian in KuK.

I’m interested too Von Thronstahl...

is it the medals , the 3rd and 4th?

or the collar style maybe? 

tony

16 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Beautiful set of photos Overture!

How do you know? I'm a rookie at KuK so I'd like to know when I see a fellow Croatian in KuK.

10 hours ago, Farkas said:

I’m interested too Von Thronstahl...

is it the medals , the 3rd and 4th?

or the collar style maybe? 

tony

None of it.  This photo was part of the bigger lot. I remember when it hit the market. I have childish dreams of rejoining this and similar lots.

On 18/08/2018 at 21:19, Farkas said:

Hi Gents

IR83 in Podlipie, Poland. 10th October 1917....

plenty of Karl Truppen Kreuz....

FE281DD4-724E-4E04-A9E4-9DE4734ACBA1.thumb.jpeg.20cd924ecdba3a6969df6e08003fc61d.jpeg

B6E2FB55-82A1-45E0-B437-8FDCA438198D.thumb.jpeg.bf2f8c566c71bb1b0d2dc20cf9213cc7.jpeg

tony

Hello ,the men are machine gunners, note de badge on the collar ,a crown above a dragoon spitting fire . the two officers wears the so called Karl bluse .

Hi Bayern

and this one on the side of the cap, Hungarian I think?

F2DD964D-D76E-4751-80D5-C366D48C165E.thumb.jpeg.5fc800937d0fc54c5f942af8c6dbda8b.jpeg

tony

21 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello ,the men are machine gunners, note de badge on the collar ,a crown above a dragoon spitting fire . the two officers wears the so called Karl bluse .

1 hour ago, Von Thronstahl said:

No, that is a tactical sign for machine gun troops. It was worn on the right side of the caps.

Hello Von Thronstahl

That’s new to me... would you mind explaining that for me please?

A tactical sign not cap badge?

thanks 

tony

32 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Hello tony, von Thronstal answered your question 

Ooh...Bayern

My friend, you know I need more than that!

~~~~

I will try...  I will open with

- perhaps...

was the collar badge indicative of realm of service, and might be worn in any situation, formal or frontline or whenever....

whereas the cap badge, but in fact called a tactical badge, would be worn in the field, to inform comrades as to your purpose ? Ie: worn tactically? For purpose...?

thanks as always......

tony

Hello tony, the MG collar badge appeared in the year 1915. existed in two basic variants one with Austrian crown the other with St Stephen crown . apart of this they were white metal badges for NCOs and troopers and gold or silver ones for officers . the use of the tactical sign on the cap is not rare .the Austrians used such signs among others white patches of cloth on the back of the caps. The MG badges were carried on the collar or collar patch and of course in the field .