News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Best Imperial German Uniform/Equipment book?

I use the most Jurgen Kraus's 2 volume 1999 work "Die fledgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918" along with his English language version of "The German Army in the First World War, Uniforms and Equipment 1914 to 1918"

The first work is in German and I know enough to plod along--it is very well researched and footnoted--which the Anal Retentive Obsessive collector in me loves. All articles of uniform and equipment are line drawings.

The second work is very much a coffee table book, but really compliments the first work with photos of original items.

I also use Johan Somers works (I have the 1st 2 Volumes) on uniforms and equipment, although I defer back to Kraus for detail.

I have Malcolm F's work on "Field Grey". This is the ultimate coffee table book and is frustrating from the perspective that the photos are so good and large not all articles (few in fact) have comprehensive photo's showing front, back and interior.

I also have the M15 regulations and M10 Regulations (introducing the Offiziers Rock) as these have been reprinted.

Any have the new "Feldzug" series from Baldwin?

Joe Sweeney

These are mine on uniforms... but need a link to Mr Chip lol!

The two Kraus volumes are superb Somers books are very good the more he publishes, on top he is a first rate Gent. I really enjoyed his 3rd volume showing more details and ersatz pieces.

In volume 2 chapter 10 'Uniforms' he has wonderful handy one and half page breakdown on changes and dates and the photography is first rate. I just wish he had 'waited' a little longer and obtained modern images of more EM field uniform examples residing in Private collections before going to press. (btw the camo helm on page 491 is believed to be a copy)

The gripe..... I hate this as Joe say's 'coffee table' format. Schiffer books are too expensive too large and heavy plus won't fit on normal bookshelves, furthermore the binding is crap.

'man with many book have nothing to say...Confuhoss

Edited by Hoss

I agree with all of the above, but I would also include the period plates and publications. I especially use "Deutschlands Armee in feldgrauer Kriegs- und Friedens-Uniform" by von der Osten-Sacken u. von Rhein. It covers the September 1915 uniform regulations both in text and in color plates. I have the very nice reprint that Manion's made back in the 1970s. For the M07/10 uniforms, I also use the reprinted set of plates "Die grauen Felduniformen der Deutschen Armee 1914" done by Arthur Schmidt, originally printed by Moritz Ruhl and reprinted in 1984 by Ulf-J.Friese and Uwe Lacina. It's indispensable. Of course there are other period plate books that have been reproduced, but I don't find the other Moritz Ruhl books to be that informative.

I have to mention Paul Pietsch and his two volume set "Formations- und Uniformierungsgeschichte des preußischen Heeres 1808-1914". This is one of the foundations upon which Kraus built his work. The section on the 1907 uniforms is brief in comparison to the rest of the prewar coverage, but much of the gear that was still in use in 1914 is described. Pietsch was also heavily involved in the reprinted expansion of the 1930's three volume set "Das Deutsche Heer" (released in 1984). Finally, I would also recommend "Führer durch Heer und Flötte 1914" by B.Freidag, reprinted by J.Olmes in 1974. Though it has no pictures, it describes the M07 field uniforms for the entire army, branch by branch and state by state. There's really not one book that does it all, so a well rounded library is key to having the multiple sources one often needs to track down answers.

Chip

>>Any have the new "Feldzug" series from Baldwin? <<

I bought vol. 1 ( will buy the rest for sure ) and have to say ... yes, yes , yes !!! - that book is a good source of information.

Of course excluding beautiful , sharp pictures there are for example nice analysis of different fabrics (showing closeouts of fabric's threads ) - used for helmet covers , uniforms ; some interesting pickelhaube ( especially ersatz ) and uniform "construction" and stamping details ...

there is a lot of good , detail oriented information and if the rest of this very esthetic set is going to be as good as the first volume ( not even mention to be better ) I'll will not hesitate a second to buy all of them and recommend it to everybody .

just my opinion

best regards

Kornel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce a new 3-volume work, just released by Schiffer : "The Imperial German Armies in Field Grey Seen Through Period Photographs, 1907-1918".

Below, you will find a couple of pages from the books. Using over 3000 photos, we show field-grey uniforms, headgear, weapons and equipment of the German enlisted soldier before and during WW1 and provide a lot of detailed information. The difference - compared with my previous books - is the use of the many period photos to illustrate uniforms and/or equipment in actual use. In addition, for each branch of service, a formation/unit history, uniform evolution and photo section is made available. I hope you will enjoy the books :)

Johan

81o1s910.jpg

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102629_zpsd6

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102542_zps68

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102702_zps5b

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102755_zps21

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102919_zpsd4

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102853_zpsa7

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102903_zpsce

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102737_zpsed

Schermafbeelding2013-12-19om102841_zpsb1