News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe pilot badge: original or fake?

Dear fellow collectors, :)

I am considering buying the Luftwaffe pilot badge type 1935 pictured below. It seems to be made from zinc. The manufacturer is "BSW" (Brüder Schneider Wien). As you can see, it has been repaired.

May I ask you what do you think about it? Could it be an original? If so, how much would it be worth, considering that it has been repaired?

Thank you very much for your help.

I would not personnally mess with it. I think that the coating would flake off, making things uglier.

Does your comment refers to the question about the bubbles? If so: The question about the bubbles is often posed to determine authenticity: Cast copies have bubbles, too. But these bubbles are soft and can be perforated by a needle for example. "real" zinc" bubbles are hard and can't be perforated. Or at least not easily.

The badge looks authentic but zinc badges are neither rare nor very desirable (in my opinion). Especially because of the re-nazification, which represents a very serious damage/ repair, I would recommend you to pass on that badge.

Although original, and a piece of history that the recipient was probably very proud to wear, it is now worth very little due to the repairs. If you were to purchase the badge and, at some stage in the future decide to sell...I don't think you would get much interest.

My advice would be to save your money and find an example of a pilot's badge that is complete and holds the value of investment.

Thank you very much for all your helpful answers. The seller wants something like 400 dollars for it. According to him the badge belonged to a pilot from Jagdgeschwader 300 who was wearing it during his last mission (a ramming attack) in March 1945. The pilot allegedly survived the ramming with serious back injuries. This is a good story but completely worthless without proof. Now that I know (thanks to you) that the badge is original, I am going to ask the seller if there are any proofs for his story. I will post an update here later. Thanks again to all of you. :)

I have just received an answer from the seller. According to him, he obtained the badge directly from the pilot himself who also told him the story I posted yesterday. As one had to expect, there is unfortunately no written proof of that.

However, the seller gave me the name and rank of the pilot. I made some research and found that his 'Soldbuch' was sold by a famous German auction house less than a month ago.

I have never seen a Luftwaffe pilot badge in a similar shape for less money. The damage and repair are almost not visible on the obverse. The only thing you see is the crack in the upper part of the swastika, just below the eagle's claw (see 1st and 3rd images in the opening post). If you know someone who is selling such badges for 200 dollars, let me know, I would be interested.

Hi Leclerc

I only have one renazified badge in my collection very nicely done by a jeweler on behalf of the owner, post war.

The badge is made of tombak...the replacement swastika has been crafted from a magnetic metal which is either steel or iron.

If you dont mind the repair, you can have this rare 1st pattern W. Deumer pilots badge for the price I paid for it.... £350.00

Well, it is Christmas!