News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manor of Up Cerne (Dorset) truncheon

Hello Mervyn. This is the 'Manor' truncheon which I have previously mentioned and am trying to research. The coat of arms I believe is that of the Duke of Marlborough....supported by the fact that there is an old 'Ducal' cap above the shield. Up Cerne is in Dorset and was part of land owned by the descendant family home of the Churchill's, before they were given the land that went on to become their residence at Blenheim Palace. I am currently making enquiries with the Dorset County Archivist. This is the only truncheon I have ever seen for a 'Manor'.This was in amongst some George III and William IV truncheons purchased last year. As I say, before the Churchills moved up the social ladder, they had vast amounts of land in Dorset, including the Manor of Up Cerne. I have a feeling that this truncheon will be from the late 18th / early 19th century. I look forward to your observations.............Ross

Hi - Ross. You need to space these out a bit - we don't have that many truncheon collectors......

I have - in the past had several Manor truncheons - and all have had links to aristocratic families. I think this

indicates that the land was part of an estate , but family members lived there. I hope you can trace it to the

Churchills. The famous village in that area is Cerne Abbas - noted for two things - the giant carved into the

chalk - with a big 'thingy' which tourists travel for miles to photograph - and the smallest public house in Britain. Mervyn