News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

16 Inf Regt (3rd Westphalian) 27th Bde 14 Inf Div?

E Williams

My research material puts this unit active during 1914 and 1915. After that the 27 Bde is no longer listed as part of the 14th Div but the 16th Inf Rgt stayed with the 14th Div by transferring to the 79th Bde. Anybody have some insight on what happened to the 27 Bde?

Thanks

Ed

My assumption is: The 16th Regt was almost decimated in early 1915 with the lost of 589 men, 16 were officers. The 27th Bde was made up with the 16th and the 53rd. My belief is that the losses were made up from the 53rd, was then deactivated and the 16th became part of the 79th giving the 79th bde, the 16th along with it's original 56th and 57th Inf Regts which is also how they stood at the end of hostilities. This would account for weapons and equipment recovered from those casualties of the 16th Regt early 1915, being assigned out to replacements in sister units later in 1915.

Can anyone substantiate this assumption?

Ed

Found out what I wanted to know that turned out not what I wanted to find out....

Thought I had leads on a Christmas Truce luger for sale belonging to an officer in the 16th Inf Rgt but it turned out it's from the 16th Reserve Inf Rgt. BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed,

the Spring 1915 reorganisations reduced the infantry establishment of the infantry division to a single brigade of three regiments. The result was that the 14. Division was left with just the 79. Infanterie-Brigade with Infanterie-Regimenter 16, 56 & 57. The former 27. Brigade was renumbered as the 100. Infanterie-Brigade (50. Infanterie-Division) keeping its original IR 53 and receiving Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39 from 28. Brigade which was disbanded and IR 158 from the 25. Infanterie-Brigade (13. Division).

Regards

Glenn

Ed,

the Spring 1915 reorganisations reduced the infantry establishment of the infantry division to a single brigade of three regiments. The result was that the 14. Division was left with just the 79. Infanterie-Brigade with Infanterie-Regimenter 16, 56 & 57. The former 27. Brigade was renumbered as the 100. Infanterie-Brigade (50. Infanterie-Division) keeping its original IR 53 and receiving Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39 from 28. Brigade which was disbanded and IR 158 from the 25. Infanterie-Brigade (13. Division).

Regards

Glenn

Thanks....I didn't know about the reduction to single Bdes. That will help with further research.

Ed