News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Precedence vs. Veteran's Preference - the great debate

Hello,

I'm sure this has been discussed and debated before but I thought I would add a group that was worn by a Veteran after he retired that is out of precedence and which I am keeping as worn. At first I had to fight that urge to rearrange but as I researched the man further I can start to see and perhaps understand his reasoning behind doing so. He was a long serving man so I truly believe it was done with a purpose as opposed to lack of knowledge, it may not have been given much deep thought or meaning but I think it brings to life his character in a small but interesting way.

Major Richard Chadwick Fitton was born in Lancashire and joined the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment around 1890 and was stationed at garrisons throughout the empire for eighteen years attaining the rank of Colour Sergeant and becoming a skilled marksman. He moved to New Brunswick, Canada sometime before the First World War, re-enlisted at age 42 into the C.E.F. for overseas service and attained the rank of Warrant Officer Class I as Sergeant Major of the Can Inf Depot in France in 1915. Later commissioned an Honorary Lt and QM, he returned to Canada taking up various staff positions before being released in 1917 'surplus to requirements'.

He moved west to northern Alberta where he obtained a homestead and became a very active and prominent citizen of the small community of Spirit River where he resided. Among his many diverse roles he was a member of the British Empire Service League (predecessor to RC Legion), Town Magistrate, Executive on Curling Committee, Dramatic Society, Church Choir, Installing Master Mason of the local lodge, and finally Platoon Commander of the Veteran's Volunteer Reserve Association at age 68.

It would seem he would have occasion to wear his medals proudly, especially every Nov 11th and having never worn them all together while in uniform, chose to arrange them in the order they appear today. It seems simple but clear that he was intensely proud of his long Imperial Service wearing the LS&GC out front, and perhaps felt the words on the reverse of his Victory Medal should be displayed as a reminder to others of what that War meant and cost. I could be completely off of course but nevertheless those medals will stay mounted as worn.

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

Nice group Jeff. It looks like he couldn't sit still for 5 minutes.

I too have a couple of WWI groups in the wrong order, it's what drew me to them. I've also seen the odd trio/pair with the BWM and/or the VM reverse facing the front. I like to think the old soldier's wife sewed them in front of the fire in the order she thought was correct or looked best.

Tony

Perhaps they were worn by his son or other family member who wore them on the right breast and therefore in reverse order - the most important closest to the heart as is one school of thought for people who have State medals and honours which may not be worn with National Honours on the left breast. Just an idea.

Greg.

I once owned a lovely group of 7 medals, all silver, though two bronze medals were missing. He was a Risaldar Major of Indian cavalry and there are a number of photographs of him taken over the years of his service. One, taken shortly after WWI and just before his retirement in 1922, shows that he was wearing, in an official portrait, in uniform, his Royal Victorian Order medal after all his campaign medals [Afghan Medal, 1908 IGS, WWI trio]. Clearly, he felt that reflected the proper order of importance and to Gehenna with the official order of precedence. And that is how they were displayed.

Wearing one's medals incorrectly would have been a chargeable offence - 'out of uniform' - and I don't believe a long service NCO and honorary officer would have let his wife sew them up wrong way about. I can easily see Chris' argument: "Sure, you did 2,3,4 years in the trenches. I did 12 years altogether!" We've all seen men who have improved their medals - the ex Legion fellow recently discussed being a classic example. Why wouldn't a veteran likewise 'correct' his medals to fit his view of their importance, symbolism of whatever. I was displaying some medals for a TV crew on Sunday and was very tempted to put the reverse of the Victory Medal up, so that the "Great War for Civilization" was visible. Depending on one's turn of mind, a true statement or the ultimate irony. Don't know which way Fitton swung on that question, but I'll bet he had an opinion! And may well have wanted to remind people of it whenever it came up! I'd vote for 'He meant it so.'

Peter