News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KSA Royal Dublin Fusiliers - help please regards the Boer war

Hi all,

I have here one nice KSA to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers earlier recruit - 4981 Pte. Thomas Sheehan, who has as well QSA with the "Talana" clasp, etc. Book "The Second Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the South African War" shows that he got gun shot wound to the neck in Nr.Carolina on the 02.02.1901. Does someone can tell more where this place is and perhaps there is extra information available what happened that day? When I try to Google it, it offers North Carolina instead :).

I have his medal rolls and service papers.

Kind Regards,

Noor

The Royal Dublin Fusiliers were very prominent in the Battle of Talana - the first Battle of the Boer War. Our troops were

in camp just outside of Dundee in Natal. They had troops also on the hills above Dundee. Major General Penn Symonds

was in command.

Early on the morning of the Battle figures could be seen moving on the hills and shots heard. This was reported to the General,

who took no notice and ordered the artillery horses to be watered. When messengers arrived he discovered that his outposts had been overun and the Boers were in possession of the small hills behind the town of Dundee.

At one point I had the diary of the RSM of the RDF - and he was very scathing of the incompetence of Penn Symonds.

Eventually our troops were ready to march on the Boer emplacements and we formed up at the base of the hills - approx.

where the fine museum stands today. Our troops were sent up the hill - a serious mistake with Boers in position. Their

accurate shooting caused heavy casualties and we started to retreat - Penn Symonds, personally lead a counter charge and was shot and killed.

The Boers retreated to regroup and we claimed a victory. However, further bodies of Boer troops were brought-up and in turn we

retreated on Elandslaagte. The whole of the Dundee area was important for the coal mines - vital to the British when all trains and shipping were powered by coal. Elandslaagte was the rail head. The RDF eventually fell-back on Ladysmith and formed part

of the 13000 British troops in the siege. The RSM was captured and held in Pretoria - eventually to be exchanged. He took

his discharge in Durban and became the RSM for the Natal Mounted Rifles. He was commissioned as Captain in 1914 and

eventually fought in East Africa.

To answer your question on Carolina - this was part of the campaign in the North East after we had captured Pretoria. The Boer

Army was basically defeated by the end of 1900 and the further fighting was the period when the Comandoes were active.

Carolina was a small Dorp (or village) on the way East. Hope this is of some help. Mervyn

Thank you very much! I have here few books regards RDF action in the Boer war, so need to find a moment and study them well in order to track his moves.... just if I have time. My college exams will start at 8th January, so I have to read materials for them instead.

Thank you again,

Timo