News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6th class Rising Sun in Chocolate Case

JapanX

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See what I am talking about?

Perfectly black.

So first reason for this chocolate shade could be simple burning-out of case lid ;)

Unfortunately we don`t have pictures of box interior ...

Let`s hope owner of this set will see this thread ;)

For now let`s assume that it is not a simple consequences of "burning-out".

But what else it can be?

Any traces of brown cases?

Actually yes, but these cases have slightly different color and came from much earlier time period.

I am talking about quadro boxes from 1880s.

Let`s hit them!

Edited by JapanX

Sometimes early rising sun orders can be found in perfectly black (at least at first sight they are perfectly black) lacquered cases. But sometimes they have slightly different coloring. Some mix of red and mahogany.

Luckily I have both colors ;)

Two 8th class cases (one on the right was issued in 1889)

It doesn't surprise me, in the late 1970s and 80s there were some Omega Speedmasters and Rolexes (other brands as well :D) that started their lives as Black dial models, throughout time and with active use they could develop a tone anywhere from Chocolate (as we see here) to even a light blue color, depending on where the individual lived and what climate the watch was under.

If even the proportions for some paint is incorrect or not enough laquer is applied to seal the color this fading can occur :)

There are a couple conditions and names for these dials but most common is the "Tropical Dial"

Its an everyday thing in watches :D don't think that orders and medals cases would be too far off in color, one step of the process is incorrectly applied and it can turn some crazy colors :D through time.

Just an additional note: there are some really interesting variations that can make a dial look either completely brown, or even have tiger stripes appearances or "spider webs" anyway just an insight into my watch passion :D

Edited by Rogi

If even the proportions for some paint is incorrect or not enough laquer is applied to seal the color this fading can occur :).

Yes!

This was exactly what I was thinking!

But what intensity of coloring has this case in post #1!!!!

Yes!

This was exactly what I was thinking!

But what intensity of coloring has this case in post #1!!!!

If its ok I'll post some watches for examples, it can go anywhere from light brown to an almost scarlet brown, its really crazy :D