News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Bravery Medal - Медаль За отвагу

• 2 years later...

Good morning

I bought the following medal recently. I was told it didn't have a number because it was a second award, which is clearly wrong. I wanted a WW2 related medal. I understand that they ceased to number in 1947 but clearly awarded numbered medals after this time. Is it that they were numbered when made and just stopped adding numbers on the batches after 1947? and although my medal is post 1947 could it still have been awarded in relation to WW2?

Dave

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

You need to distinguish between awarding and issuing - the first is the administrative act of bestowing a decoration upon somebody, the second is the physical presentation of the decoration to the recipient. Sometimes these two were days apart, sometimes weeks, sometimes even years. Serial numbers bear little to no relation to the award date, just the date of issue.

These medals were numbered when they were manufactured. All medals manufactured after January 1947 did not have a serial number anymore, and stocks of the numbered pieces most likely ran out after a few months, so all medals issued after 1947 or so did not have a serial number. It wasn't uncommon, however, for a medal that was awarded during WW2 to be issued much later ('catch-up awards') - if such a medal was issued after 1947 it did not have a serial number. So it's possible that yours was awarded for deeds during WW2, but there's no way to tell.

If you want a WW2-era specimen, just look for a numbered one - they are really common and affordable.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 weeks later...
    On 6/26/2014 at 17:51, JapanX said:

Now this is less common :whistle:

IMG_8492.JPG

Interestingly, he was awarded all 3 medals in a course of 10 days. The first BM on 11 March. The two others are on 19 March 1945.

And the two last ones seem to be for the same feat on 03 March 1945. One is downgrade from OGIII.  They are awarded by two different decrees, but on the same day. And it seems PETROV's name came into both decrees.

Edited by Egorka

• 4 weeks later...