News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders of the Precious Crown from Collection of DavidS

JapanX

• Replies 106
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top of the morning to you too dear Richard!

However the reason for his selection may be found in the translation of the Sacred Treasure.

Yes, I agree. Most likely sacred treasure was the reason for divinization of crown :)

I just acquired an 8th Class Sacred Crown on eBay.

Congratulations with your new acquisition!

Nice early 8th class with extra attachment device :rolleyes:

Don't forget to show it to us when it will arrive in SF ;)

Edited by JapanX

If you look at the characters on the case of the Sacred Crown, You will find that they are the same characters used for the Sacred Treasure.

Order of the Sacred Treasure: 瑞宝章 (zuihou-shou)GOLDEN?-TREASURE-AWARD

zui is a bit hard to translate, not being in many compounds and rarely (never?) alone. You can see it in 瑞穂の国, a poetic nickname meaning 'Japan.' Or 瑞々しい (mizumizushii) meaning 'fresh' as in fresh veggies (or fresh/youthful skin). Interestingly, for those who enjoy kanji, it was also used in the old country names for Sweden (瑞典) and Switzerland (瑞西). Now these country names are written in the less difficult katakana.

Order of the Sacred (Precious)Crown: 宝冠章 (houkan-shou) TREASURE-CROWN-AWARD

In common: the 2nd kanji in the ST is hou meaning 'treasure.' Same kanji is 1st in the SC (PC).

We can discuss whether to call it SC if we wish, but the official English translation is indeed the Order of the Precious Crown, as decided upon by the Decorations Bureau of Japan. (http://www8.cao.go.jp/shokun/shurui-juyotaisho-kunsho/hokansho.html) Peterson probably just wanted it to correspond with the ST.

I, too, have called it the SC up to now. Time to be PC, so to speak.

Rich

Edited by fukuoka

• 3 weeks later...