News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - Royal Order of George I medal

I wish I could show you a nice enameled class of the cross, but all I have is the Commemorative Medal of the Royal Order of George I 3. Class.

The Order's cross grades were only awarded to officers; so, NCOs, soldiers, and junior civil officials received the medal in three class (gold, silver, bronze).

Associated with the monarchy and first awarded 1915-1924 and then 1935-1973. This is probably a later version.

Edited by IrishGunner

At first, the medal of the Order of George I was awarded in two classes only (gold and silver); later a third (bronze) class was added.

Without swords, it was also used as Royal Household medal. Award diplomas are rare, but do exist.

I am attaching some photos of both the medal and the Order of George I.

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering is there a way to tell difference between 1915 and 1935 type?

Different makers, different periods.

Here is part of my collection With Order of King George III class and Knight Cross in Gold and Silver.

Thanks for photos, very nice collection, my congrats!

So if I understood well there's practically no difference between decorations from those two periods.

Is it known from which period are decorations made by Mappin & Webb?

Thanks for photos, very nice collection, my congrats!

So if I understood well there's practically no difference between decorations from those two periods.

Is it known from which period are decorations made by Mappin & Webb?

By different makers, I mean also and different design for the Orders, so there are differences visually....

Makers for this Order are: Zimmerman, Souval, Huguenin, Spink, Webb, Kelaidis and some other minor Greek Jewelry makers.

Orders from English makers that you ask, like Spink and Webb, was making this Order for the WWII period and some years after, where from there, Greek makers took the majority of the orders.

Edited by Emanuel