News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dishonest sellers and fraudsters on ebay, YJ, etc.

utopis

Money, eh? Yes, it's always about money! The fakers aren't the only ones who try to steal our money. Dishonest sellers do too.

Let's perpetuate the names of those fraudsters.

Edited by utopis

Number one on the list is a really interesting one.

ensai-so-ken (on ebay) and hannari875 (on YJ). Most of his sales are on ebay with currently 2600 transaction and zero negative feedback and only 178 transactions on YJ and one negative feedback. But let's have a look behind the curtain.

The first suspicious sale is a replica of a 5th class golden kite. The selling price alone should be a giveaway - $511 !!

Edited by utopis

What a madness. So who is the winning bidder? The member has one (1) transaction and bid 8 times (!) on this item. By the way I wouldn't trust the one with a feedback of eleven (11) either.

Of course it's back for sale again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2064-jjFk-REPLICA-Order-Golden-Kite-5th-class-Medal-Japanese-Army-Navy-/111253293484

Next one is a cased sacred treasure breast star. The winning bidder was y***n (187).

This exact same cased breast star was relisted again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2072-fjFk-WW2-Japanese-The-Order-of-the-Sacred-Treasure-2nd-Class-Medal-navy/121250472819?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4048831369661237826%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D111200874207%26

And who happens to be the first bidder? Oh yes it is y***n (187).

So what he wanted it then didn't pay and now he wants it again? Come on!

Edited by utopis

Now let's have a look at a first class rising sun.

y***n 187 is back again. He raised the price of the auction nicely. Shortly afterwards the exact same set was offered on YJ.

Edited by utopis

What do they call that, "Shill" bidding?

Yes, exactly. Actually it is very hard to detect Shill bidding. Only the stupid ones create new accounts and bid with zero or one rating. Same goes with bid retractions or hiding the bidder list.

The clever method is to ask friends and family to bid with their accounts or bid through "buying and shipping" companies. Due to the fact that these account made other purchases it appears that only a small percentage of bids goes to one particular seller. Therefore it must be assumed that if a scheme is recognized that is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

In fact I am observing a lot of ebay sellers which I assume are doing this too. The problem is that I can't say for a hundred percent that these are Shill bids. They just border at the "still might be possible" area.

Obviously I can't declare anyone a criminal without definitive proof. It just strikes me as very suspect if someones bids on 9 out of 10 completely different items from one and the same seller.

Edited by utopis

In my opinion eBay has made shilling easier because now you cannot see who has placed bids. In the past if 153mleo (me) was bidding and bid on one particular seller's items yet never bid high enough to win the item it was pretty evident what was going on. So why use a shill? The obvious is that you can run the bids up so you make more money. However, another reason is that, at least in the past, it cost more to put a "reserved bid" on an item and the shill could place a maximum bid equal to the "reserve bid" and cost the seller nothing for the protection.

More on this in my upcoming blog, if you are interested (shamless self-promotion). :whistle:

Regards

Brian

• 2 months later...
    Look this guy from Japan - "jojo777.2013" on ebay.
    He sells reproductions only and always write in discription "Uncertain if this piece is original or a reproduction, is a very high quality piece." Why it's dangerous? I know he's already sold some pieces (to Germany in particular), and next time when the buyer in return want to sell such piece, what can he say? "It's a real nice piece directly from Japan and there are even some kanji on reverse and manufacturer mark too" and so on.
    Regards. Oleg.

Yes, his descriptions are a little bit tricky.

Especially when you are looking only at the titles

WW2 JAPANESE ORDER OF THE GOLDEN KITE 4TH CLASS MEDAL-EXCELLENT CONDITION-BEAUTI (#281095231869) US $255.00

or

WW2 JAPANESE ORDER OF THE GOLDEN KITE 3TH CLASS MEDAL-EXCELLENT CONDITION-BEAUTI

The reasons for such blurred description of straight replica "Uncertain if this piece is original or a reproduction, is a very high quality piece." are quite obvious.

Interesting responses ;)

From this

On examination, clearly a reproduction piece. Obvious from the weight alone. Buyer: e***b ( 218) Dec-02-13 12:37

WW2 JAPANESE ORDER OF THE GOLDEN KITE 4TH CLASS MEDAL-EXCELLENT CONDITION-BEAUTI (#281187737881)

to this

the item is highly recommended and a very nice piece - thanks

WW2 JAPANESE ORDER OF THE GOLDEN KITE 4TH CLASS MEDAL-EXCELLENT CONDITION-BEAUTI (#281101891016) US $305.00

and sometimes (but only with dragon balls and bootlegs :lol:) he has communication problems

Never received the product. And never contacted back. Buyer: m***c ( 3 ) Jul-11-13 17:38

Dragon Ball Poster A3 (#281108765267)

Burned bootleg, no communication but I got a refund after several attempts. Buyer: e***. ( 543) May-17-13 02:40

Outrage Beyond Blu-ray Disc Japanese New Rental Market Disc (#281098636623)

Edited by JapanX

It is not just corrupt sellers, I have been playing a bit with ebay last couple of months (selling) and have found bid retractions anoying, I guess they use this to find out what the opposition is prepared to pay. So just for fun cancel their bids and stick them on your banned bidder list. I had a dogey deal where at the last minute the postal address and name changed, I only noticed when I was about to post to the correct original address. If I posted to the new address I would not have had the seller protection and likely the person would have received the item and claimed the cash back which I understand is almost automatic. Off line offers, I received a whole host of them for a GSM bars NI & Kuwait, some of them after the auction was ended but I suppose no different to these fora in that regard. It is all fun and games!

I had a dogey deal where at the last minute the postal address and name changed, I only noticed when I was about to post to the correct original address. If I posted to the new address I would not have had the seller protection and likely the person would have received the item and claimed the cash back which I understand is almost automatic.

Monkey biz at its best!

Another example

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/46791-sellers-beware/?hl=dishonest

• 1 month later...

Well, look at that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Japanese-Enamel-Medal-Order-of-the-Golden-Kite-1st-Class-Breast-Badge-Orig-/191148734985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c815a3a09

it's the same breast star that was sold last year and posted in this topic: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58343-1st-class-golden-kite-on-ebay/

Only this time the seller has a rating of 0 ...

I'd be careful.

Well, look at that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Japanese-Enamel-Medal-Order-of-the-Golden-Kite-1st-Class-Breast-Badge-Orig-/191148734985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c815a3a09

it's the same breast star that was sold last year and posted in this topic: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58343-1st-class-golden-kite-on-ebay/

Only this time the seller has a rating of 0 ...

I'd be careful.

How is this not legit!

0 Rep gives so much credibility to this listing lol :D (joke :D )

No, seriously, its sad people resort to this style of listings :(

Edited by Rogi