News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK 1813 Winner photo

Hello,

besides phaleristic, I like to study old photographies and the ancient, photographic techniques.

The images shown in this thread are most interesting.

I'm also surprised to see the picture of that very, very old veteran wearing, besides two commemorative medals, the EK-II, Austria's Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille (that could be either the Franz-II or the Franz-I type) and the Russian St. George Cross IV Class! It would be great, if one day he will be identified.

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

• 7 months later...
    On 27/12/2019 at 17:42, Komtur said:

Yes.

Nice! This gives at least a hint who it may be - I would place my bet on Major a. D. Kühne, Artillery, Halle. The medals fit if we consider, from left to right (viewer perspective): EK21813, Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer (version unclear), Dienstauszeichnungskreuz, Erinnerungs-Kriegsdenkmünze 1863 - seems he had his medals arranged a little crude on the occasion of the 50 years celebrations of the latter year. But of course it's all only a guess... ?

Cheers

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

• 4 weeks later...
    On 31/12/2019 at 13:46, ArHo said:

Nice! This gives at least a hint who it may be - I would place my bet on Major a. D. Kühne, Artillery, Halle. The medals fit if we consider, from left to right (viewer perspective): EK21813, Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer (version unclear), Dienstauszeichnungskreuz, Erinnerungs-Kriegsdenkmünze 1863 - seems he had his medals arranged a little crude on the occasion of the 50 years celebrations of the latter year. But of course it's all only a guess... ?

Cheers

ArHo

Obviously not interesting enough to write any answer - schade, took me some time to figure that out ?

Arho,

do not be disheartened. It  is a wonderful photograph and possibly, given time will be identified.

The problem with Herr Kühne is that he is listed in the 1830 Rangliste with just an EK2. Presumably his Austrian and Russian awards date from the Befreiungskriege and would therefore be listed if that were he? 

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

Arho,

do not be disheartened. It  is a wonderful photograph and possibly, given time will be identified.

The problem with Herr Kühne is that he is listed in the 1830 Rangliste with just an EK2. Presumably his Austrian and Russian awards date from the Befreiungskriege and would therefore be listed if that were he? 

Regards

Glenn

Glenn I speak about the last man posted by Komtur - there is no Austrian or russian award so I am quite sure about him. 

Cheers

On 04/07/2014 at 15:39, Djedj said:

Hi gents,

sorry I cannot get anything more detailed for the Cross ; but a badge looks possible indeed.

Thomas,

Thanks for this photo - very nice !

And... introducing another old Vet'..

Photo re-cut to fit in a 1860s album ; no photographer's détails whatsoever.

I love the colouring !

Salutations,

Jérôme

post-889-0-33171700-1404481107.jpg

Hello Glenn,

my statement was about this picture...

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 2 months later...
    On 28/01/2020 at 18:00, ArHo said:

Obviously not interesting enough to write any answer - schade, took me some time to figure that out ?

Sorry for missing your answer and efforts ?. I know well, how long such research could last.

Indeed Kühne is shown in the Ranklist 1841 as Captain with Iron Cross 2nd class and Officers Long Service Cross. But then I checked Major a. D. Kühne in the Königlich Preußische Ordensliste 1862 and found there additionally a Red Eagle Order 4th class given to him in 1842. So unfortunately on the portrait made in Halle/S. it seems not to be him.

Kind regards, Komtur.

Capitain Kühne in Ranklist 1842.jpg

Major a. D. Kühne, Halle in Kgl. Pr. Ordensliste 1862 S. 252.JPG

Major a. D. Kühne, Halle in Kgl. Pr. Ordensliste 1862 S. 562.JPG

Edited by Komtur

• 8 months later...
    On 04/07/2014 at 15:39, Djedj said:

Hi gents,

sorry I cannot get anything more detailed for the Cross ; but a badge looks possible indeed.

post-889-0-33171700-1404481107.jpg

Following up on this one : this CDV is coming from an early 1860s HR6 regimental album.

Whereas there is no identification on the photo, the "Geschichte des Königl. Preuss. 6. Husaren-Regiments" gives us at least a "suspect" :

"Gefecht von Weißenfels den 12. September. (Nota : 1813)
    Die Avantgarde des Corps rückte bis Weißenfels. Dieses wurde mit Anbruch des 12. angegriffen. Der zahlreiche Feind vertheidigte sich schwach und verließ um 10 Uhr die Stadt. Die Thore waren verrammelt. Husaren saßen ab und öffneten sie. Die Franzosen wurden nun herausgejagt und mit einigen Escadrons bis Freiburg lebbaft verfolgt, wobei 1 General, 1 Oberst, 16 Officiere, 1100 Mann, nebst einer beträchtlichen Bagage gefangen und erbeutet wurden (Hüttel giebt 1 General, 29 Officiere, 1254 Gefangene an). Es war dies die oben erwähnte, von v. Eicke erkundete Abtheilung. Wachtmeister Meyer des Regiments ( zur Zeit Unterofficier der 2. Esc. ), bei dieser Affaire detachirt, stand unter dem Befehl eines österreichischen Ober-Lieutenants, von dessen Commando 4 Mann gefangen wurden. Es gelang Meyer mit einigen seiner Husaren, dieselben herauszubauen, wofür derselbe auf Verwendung jenes Ober-Lieutenants die österreichische Tapferkeits-Medaille erhielt.
    "

Meyer, who also got the EK2, was still alive in 1860.

Nowhere near a definitive identification, but an interesting possibility !

Jerome

• 8 months later...

More old men... Both found on the internet years ago:

IMG_20210815_125710.jpg

IMG_20210815_122541.jpg

And two more 1863 veterans'  portraits here as part of a very good essay on the Prussian medals and decorations of 1813-1814-1815 (German):

https://www.deutsche-gesellschaft-fuer-ordenskunde.de/DGOWP/links/dokumente/die-befreiungskriege-im-spiegel-preussischer-auszeichnungen/

Edited by ArHo