News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recon clasp w bakelite eagle

Hi all,

This one came in recently from emedals. It's a nice tombak recon clasp with unusual eagle's head in bakelite-like material.

Can't seem to remember seeing any similar pieces with bakelite parts. Does anyone have any information concerning similar pieces and/or the use of bakelite parts in clasps and badges?

Regards, Peter

I've seen a couple of these over the years and, like you, have wondered why this material was used. There could be a number of reasons....most likely an experimental exercise perhaps to cut down on the use of high grade metals? The manufacturing company, as well as producing metal die struck items, may have also produced items made from this substance and found it to be more cost effective, and once the finish was applied it would have been hard to tell the difference.

Certainly an interesting piece.

I've seen a couple of these over the years and, like you, have wondered why this material was used. There could be a number of reasons....most likely an experimental exercise perhaps to cut down on the use of high grade metals? The manufacturing company, as well as producing metal die struck items, may have also produced items made from this substance and found it to be more cost effective, and once the finish was applied it would have been hard to tell the difference.

Certainly an interesting piece.

In all the years I've been collecting this is the first one for me so would be cool to see more examples.

If anyone as any photo's of these, please post :jumping:

How is the device attached? - Looks like the original metal rivet is still visible from the reverse. Perhaps the original devise was lost in the field, and a squadron mate cast a new one from resin?

How is the device attached? - Looks like the original metal rivet is still visible from the reverse. Perhaps the original devise was lost in the field, and a squadron mate cast a new one from resin?

The eagles head looks to be a multipart device - there's a metal base over which the bakelite layer is moulded. Its doesn't look te be a fieldmade one - it would have been a much cruder design when made in the field....