News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"New" book on Mongolian awards

Bob

The Voronov book mentioned in back of Herfurth catalogue is up for auction on eBay.

I got a copy (anxiously waiting for it to arrive) a few weeks ago. Dealer has second one on eBay right now.

Hi Bob, can we get a link please? Photo of the cover at least?

Thanks!!!!!!

Will post scans once I receive my copy. In the meantime: Item number: 8388566492

Had the name of the author wrong from memory:)

Received my copy today.

It is indeed a paperback and black and white. Size is half A4. 51 pages of which the last 15 or so drawings of the various awards (nothing special here - Bat's book has it all in color photographs so much better).

The book is in Russian. This is annoying because the other 36 pages give a tremendous amount of written detail about the various awards. Perhaps the most I've seen documented - but again, in Russian :(

Also contains some charts which appear to give an indication of metal content per award or perhaps size. Odd strings of numbers which I can't interpret with my limited (da / njet) Russian.

I will post some scans later.

All in all, if you can read Russian, a great book probably because of the many details documented in it per award. Otherwise... well... for the completists:)

Guest Rick Research

Sorry, can't read tiny blurry sideways scans! :cheeky:

When was this actually printed? I may be (and hopefully am!) mistaken, but I had heard that Professor Victorov-Orlov had died recently. He and I used to correspond (he lived in Chelyabinsk) back in the "Evil Empire" days (which must have gotten the mail for both of us opened by both sides! :speechless1: ) when I was in college in the 1970s and we were both OMSA members. I used to work with a nice Pakistani lady who translated all his ahem ahem ahem recently returned "advisor" medals for him

(so I was kind of a proto-pre-Ed Haynes without any actual such language skills of my own, in those dark Brezhnevian days :rolleyes: ).

But to UNdigress, I can read Russian--

if only it is large and focussed enough! :lol::cheers:

(Try for ONE PAGE the size to be completely visible on a monitor screen.)

Sorry, can't read tiny blurry sideways scans! :cheeky:

When was this actually printed? I may be (and hopefully am!) mistaken, but I had heard that Professor Victorov-Orlov had died recently. He and I used to correspond (he lived in Chelyabinsk) back in the "Evil Empire" days (which must have gotten the mail for both of us opened by both sides! :speechless1: ) when I was in college in the 1970s and we were both OMSA members. I used to work with a nice Pakistani lady who translated all his ahem ahem ahem recently returned "advisor" medals for him

(so I was kind of a proto-pre-Ed Haynes without any actual such language skills of my own, in those dark Brezhnevian days :rolleyes: ).

But to UNdigress, I can read Russian--

if only it is large and focussed enough! :lol::cheers:

(Try for ONE PAGE the size to be completely visible on a monitor screen.)

Message board doesn't allow for large files unfortunately :(

PM me your email address and I'll send you some larger scans. Perhaps we can make it a rolling project to do 1 scan a week translation and post it here?

The book should provide quite some details as there's a LOT more text in it than the Bat book.

Will look at the printing date later today when I'm home again.

Had a chance to look at it a bit more. Posted some of the pages of more interesting medals under the specific threads.

Also managed to look at the tables in the book more. It's clear that they give

- details (size, weight, metal) on each of the medal / orders

- and also seperate table providing exact color scheme / size details of all ribbons, old and new

Great book.

• 2 weeks later...

The most interesting part about this book is the page with the technical data of the orders and medals.

It gives weight and measurments, and metal content, this might be very helpful once we start seeing fakes.

I put abbreviated translations next to the correponding russian text.

Jan

• 2 months later...

Just received 2 more books on Mongolian awards which haven't been seen here yet. Will try to find time to post some pics tonight.

Hopefully our friendly community will be able to do a quick translation here or there to see if there's useful new info to be found:)

Waiting for pics... :jumping: Are those books new or old?

Dima

Old, so let's not get our hopes up too high. Nevertheless, the suspense in itself is already making it fun:)

Judging by the amount of text, I'd be somewhat disappointed if it didn't contain at least some tidbit of new info.

Guest Rick Research

Uh oh. BLUE one is in Mongolian, so no help there!!!

How about the GREEN one, in Russian?

Uh oh. BLUE one is in Mongolian, so no help there!!!

How about the GREEN one, in Russian?

You mean you don't read Mongolian? I am thoroughly disappointed Rick! :(:o:cheeky:

Thanks to One of Our Own, :beer: , I was able to get a copy of the blue (Mongolian) book here in UB. Looks very good and seems to have been a major source for Battushig.

Now, just to read the bloody thing . . . .