News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 years later...

Interesting ! and singular, The portrait shows a Oberstabsarzt (Major ) wearing the 1915 bluse . but his shoulderboards are not backed in blue cloth neither his collar patches . A possible candidate is Prof Dr Johann Plesch 1878  1957 . A hungarian who served into the Prussian Army . and won the EK 

A bit more about Plesch : He served first as rearguard doctor . later he obtained his assignement to the Eastern Front . He won the EK 1  when in his words : I not lost my head and gave the orders for a retirement of my field ambulance without the loss of any wounded avoiding the russian encirclement by the use of a hidden road . In 1934 he emigrated to England and later to USA .was close friend and personal physician of Albert Einstein .

If we assume that he is indeed an Oberstabsarzt as Bayern suggests and that, does appear to be a staff of Aesculapius on the nearest shoulder board, then we are looking at a Saxon Landwehr or reserve medical officer in the rank of major. To my reckoning, some 13 Saxon medical officers received the Knight's Cross of the Saxon Order of Saint Henry. Of these, twelve were further decorated with an Albrechts Order Knight's Cross 1st Class with Swords and Crown. As far as I can ascertain only Oberstabsarzt der Landwehr Dr. Louis Geyer also held the Saxon Meiningen Honour Cross for Merit in wartime. He additionally also had the Landwehr Long service decoration 1st class.

Regards

Glenn

Hello : Plaited shoulderboard with only the staff of Aesculapius . the strange thing is the field grey backing of the shoulderboard instead of the current blue . perhaps that was regulation for Landwehr ? 

• 1 month later...

There was no regulation for feldgrau underlay on medical officer's boards. This was strictly personal preference, as were this collar color and Kragenpatten backing. I have seen this many times on officer's shoulder boards and more frequently on Saxon examples. 

Chip