News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake or not? Cross Terza Armata - cross Quarta Armata

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have recently seen the following WW1 Italian crosses on the Internet.

Does anyone of you know if they are original, although they have no maker's marks (i.e. Fassino's mark) on the back?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

All the best.

Jean-Samuel Karlen

The most appreciated III army cross is marked "FASSINO - Torino" on the reverse. Another variant, very rare, has a mistake in the sentence on the reverse "RICONOCSENZA".

Many unofficial versions are circulating, which not necessarily are fakes, but production of small ateliers. Mine, for instance, is one of those, without markings.

According to Brambilla-Fossati, there are at least 9 main variants of the 3rd army cross, plus several more with so little differences that are not relevant to be described. I agree with rocketscientist: your cross is original. It is very similar to the type "E" described in the book, like mine.

About 4th army cross: many variants for this cross also, 8 of them. In this case, however, the front picture of your cross raises some doubts: the mountains in the middle are almost flat, while in all the variants shown by Brambilla-Fossati they are much more 3D like.

Here is mine, from Fassino:

292.jpg

Grazie mille Gentlemen for your valuable comments and informations.

Since I posted this topic, I discovered on the Internet a very interesting site created by Adriano Brambilla and Alessandro Paolini :

"Studio Feleristico SAS".

In their "Catalogo online", under "Medaglie a croce", I found several WW1 crosses among which is a Quarta Armata (N° 380, listed at EUR 130.--) similar to mine.

After a close examination (magnifying the pictures up to 150%), I got to the conclusion that both crosses (theirs and mine) were produced by the same manufacturer because they show the same specific flaws: i.e. a small curve in relief under the pearls on the right of the crown (top arm of the cross), and the same problem in the spelling of "ARMATA" (lower part of "R" touching "M").

Thank you again Gentlemen for sharing your knowledge on this highly interesting collector's area.

All the best,

Jean-Samuel Karlen.

In the mean-time, I have also found the following cross (II Armata) for sale on the Internet.

It looks very fine, with a very nice ribbon, but I have a doubt about this cross though: the reverse is absolutely blank... No writings, no marks, no nothing...

What do you think of that, Gentlemen?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam. Karlen

This one should be a fake, or a modern restrike if you like. All the "official" crosses of 2nd army have some writing on the back side.

In an Italian forum, some years ago, I got the news that the original dies of some crosses were sold to some maker, but the front side only. The backside simply did not exist any more. In this way the buyer had the chance to make almost perfect crosses.

Regarding this cross (quarta armata), I have seen other ones made by Fassino displaying a gilt enamelled crown on the ribbon.

Is there a difference between the crosses with and those without it (i.e.: one for combattant, one for non-combattant)?

Was it specific to the crosses made by Fassino or is it possible to find it on other variants?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jean-Samuel Karlen

Edited by j-sk

A few words about the story of these crosses. Just after the end of the war, 1918, the Duke of Aosta, commander of the 3rd army, decided to give an (unofficial) cross to all the soldiers of his army; the cross was made by Fassino and later other factories copied it. Being it unofficial, there was no rule, so now we find slightly different shapes or colours. For example, the "standard" cross has all the arms white, but there is one with two arms white, one red and one green, to remember the colours of our flag.

Later other crosses were created for the other armies, usually with the goal to collect money to be given to the widows or to the wounded. None of these were official, so you could expect, again, differences between the different factories, which have no special meaning.

The general rule is that a flat back side means modern restrike.

Edited by claudio2574

By the way Gentlemen,

What were the rules for wearing these unofficial crosses.

Were they allowed for wearing with other official medals? In other words, is it possible to find official medals AND unofficial medals mounted together on multiple medal bars?

I have also found difficulties in finding regulations for official mounted medal groups.

For instance, on a WW1 medal group, what is the order of precedence for the following medals: Medaglia per volontari di guerra, medaglia 1915-1918, medaglia Unità d'italia, medaglia interalleata, medagia del comune di Roma per i soldati della guerra 1915-18, croce di Caporetto?

Thank you in advance for letting me know.

Jean-Sam.

Actually the unofficial medals should not be present in a medal bar, even if sometimes they actually are, for example the 3rd army cross which was considered a semi-official medal.

The order of the medals changed several times during the years.

The following pages come from the book " REGIO ESERCITO ITALIANO - UNIFORMI 1919 -1933 " by Ruggero Belogi.

med250us8.jpg

17fn9.jpg

Just to add some enthropy: in the previous table some medals are not mentioned, like the interallied.

Here is a picture of the Capt Muccini's medals, who received at least one silver and one bronze medal for military bravery during WW1. The medals are described on the picture itself

007.jpg

He wrote a book about his war history. It has been published twice after WW1 and recently it has been republished by a group of WW1 history enthusiast. A friend of mine made the comparison between the two first versions: one a few years after the war and the second during the years of fascism. He wrote in a very realistic way, describing himself and his soldiers' true life. In a few words he was able to describe a full situation in all its hardness. The fascism forced him to hide some words (not so many, however). It should be read by any war fanatics.

Exactly. The latest edition is nov. 2003, I've a copy at home, Can't remember the editor. The words "e allora andiamo" (something like "so let's go now") are the words told by Muccini himself at the end of all his experience, when he discovers that the world around him has changed completely after the war and he's almost alone. He leaves his uniform, exits the army and tells himself the sentence.

Edited by claudio2574

Thank you for the references.

I'll try to get an uncensored copy.

By the way, I managed to get the book about the unofficial Armata crosses. I should receive it soon.

While talking about crosses, the "Vittorio Veneto" cross being an order (Cavaliere di Vittorio Veneto), what is the precedence with the other WW1 medals? Should it be placed before any other WW1 crosses/medals or should it follow them because it was only attributed a long time after (early 70's)?

All the best,

Jean-Sam.