News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE ROMANIAN'COMMEMORATIVE CROSS OF THE 1916 - 1918 WAR.

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A close-up of the bars.

Hallo Tim B, :beer:

There appears to be a variation in these bars too, (Post 49) with the letters being thicker in size on the lower bar compared to the upper bars, I would speculate a variation of manufacturer.

Kevin in Deva,

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hello Kevin!

Yes, and the background black seems to be a bit darker than the other two as well.

Looking closely at the lettering, the Dobrogia and Marasesti bars almost appear to be sanded as they both display fine lines on all the lettering. I suspect part of the finishing process of bringing out the highlights after appling the background black color?

Perhaps the difference in the thickness of the lettering is due to the sanding process? If sanded more heavily, the wearing down would leave slightly fatter looking lettering?

Thanks again for your help! :beer:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I saw your posts regarding this medal and I was wondering if anybody is interested in a couple of medals that I have as I am trying to scale back my collection of romanian orders and medals. One is individual and the other is part of a bar with 5 other orders/medals. Of course I have many others that are available (like Orders of the crown- comandor, officer, breast star), Queen Maria cross, and a plethora of medals(Silver Loyal Service cross, Gold Military Virtue Cross and others). Pictures can be sent to your e-mail on request, if interested.

Regards,

Simpi01

Hi,

I saw your posts regarding this medal and I was wondering if anybody is interested in a couple of medals that I have as I am trying to scale back my collection of romanian orders and medals. One is individual and the other is part of a bar with 5 other orders/medals. Of course I have many others that are available (like Orders of the crown- comandor, officer, breast star), Queen Maria cross, and a plethora of medals(Silver Loyal Service cross, Gold Military Virtue Cross and others). Pictures can be sent to your e-mail on request, if interested.

Regards,

Simpi01

Dear Simpi01

The below links lead to the part of the site where items for sale can be listed

and NOT amongst the general threads regarding specific items.

Please read the listing Rules with regards requirements such as price, postage, etc..etc..

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/forum/35-the-old-sale-room/

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/forum/230-best-offer/

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 2 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...

In my opinion the two bars look o.k. its possible the top one was polished up with sand-paper at some stage, possibly by a WW1 veteran, to make it stand out.

Kevin in Deva.

Many thanks!

BTW - Turtucaia bar is very rare, as that battle was one of the biggest defeats for Romanian army during WWI and they wanted to forget about it as soon as possible. As such - many award document and bars were destroyed, very few survived...

• 4 years later...

BALL__f_.jpg

BALL__R_.jpg

BARREL__F_.jpg

Post_type__cu_.JPG

Large_Sq..jpg

Small_Sq__f_.jpg

Unlike the other photos, the last cross in this series of photos is entirely one color:  a yellowish bronze or brass  This leads me to a question.  When these crosses were originally issued were the grids inside each cross arm (and the grids inside the center circle) coated with a dark or blackish lacquer (like a Brunswick War Merit Cross or an Iron Cross)?   Or did the gridded areas become dark overtime as a result of dirt, tarnish, etc.    I always assumed that the gridded areas were blackened, but the photo of the last cross made me wonder.  (Of course, someone could have cleaned this cross and removed the original black lacquer.)

Just curious ....