News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal trio and single 1911 Coronation medal

Hi all,

Today I picked up among of my haul some UK police medals. There is:

Mounted trio:

1897 - PC. F.Harding G.Divn

1902 - PC. F.Harding L. Div

1911 - PS F.Harding

Also single 1911 Coronation medal to

"PS. W.Alcock"

Are these researchable, is there any information available or even some advise where to look?

Thanking you in advance,

Timo

Re the trio - Frederick Harding joined the Met as a PC in G Div (Finsbury) 22/06/1896 with the Warrant Number 81357. He later transferred to L Div (Lambeth) before transferring to M Div (Southwark). He left the force 27/06/1921 - pensioned after 25 years service.

His full police medal entitlement is the group you have.

I have attached his service sheet which shows the dates of his moves etc plus his details on joining - previously employed by a railway company.

Note his 1911 medal is as a PS (Sergeant) - this is not shown on his service sheet. However from my other notes taken from the Police Orders I can tell you he was an acting PS at the time of the 1911 Coronation - so the rank of PS is shown on his medal.

In fact 23/05/1911 - 24/02/1921 he was an Acting PS in L Div. When he moved to M Div he reverted to PC again.

(Note for earlier awards the lower rank is shown on medals ie an acting PS in 1902 would have his medal named PC).

Hope that helps - will now look for your other man

Edited by Odin Mk 3

The other man is William Alcock who joined the Met 23/04/1894 with the Warrant Number 79482. He was pensioned 29/08/1921 after 25 years service.

Unfortunately he is also entitled to the 1897 Medal (PC 2nd Div - Portsmouth Dockyard) and 1902 Medal (PC W Div - Clapham). However when he retired he was an Inspector. Also note that he was actually a Station Sergeant in 1911 (SPS) but that rank is not shown on medals - just PS.

I have attached his service sheet which gives his moves and promotions. He was a butcher before joining the police.

For information:

Y Div = Highgate

Ports (2nd) Div = Portsmouth Dockyard

W = Clapham

R = Greenwich

P = Camberwell

T = Hammersmith

Hope that helps. For most of these medals there is plenty of information at the National Archives - a lot of which can be accessed remotely and I have most of it stored on my (spare) hard disk.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 2 months later...

You also asked me about a 1911 Medal to PC G Ely

He is in fact George William Ely whose Warrant Number was 84426 and he joined as a PC in H Div (Whitechapel) 19/09/1898 and was pensioned 24/09/1923 as a PC in 1st Div (Woolwich).

He also served in 3rd Div (Devonport Dockyard)

His full entitlement is 1902 Coronation Medal (PC 3rd Div) and 1911 Coronation Medal (PC - was then in 1st Div).

His service sheet is attached