News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian standard captured at Austerlitz

Jaybo

Gentlemen,

Are any of you 'experten' in the standards/colors of the Napoleonic Wars? I'm particularly interested in what was the color scheme of the Arkhangel Musketeer Regiment whose colored 1800 model flag was captured by chef d'escadron Jacquemin at Austerlitz in 1805. My sources are in conflict. Was it black & red, yellow & white or yet something else. Thanks.

All the best,

Jay

Hi Jay

As you probably already know, Russian flags were very similar to the Prussian style. The basic design consists of a central eagle and wreath device, crowned cyphers at each corner and a cross. Variation was provided by the use of different colors and divisions of the cross and/or corners.

In 1797 Czar Paul I authorized new patterns for the army's flags and during the next 2 years each regiment received 1 "white" flag, corresponding with the Austrian or Prussian "Leibfahne" or British "King's Colour", and 1 "coloured" flag per company, corresponding to the battalion or regimental flag of the other nations.

In 1797 the Arkangel Regt - which was in the future Lithuania Inspection - had a "white" flag that had a white cross and green/brown corners and a "coloured' flag that had a green cross and brown corners.

In 1800 Czar Paul I replaced the divisional organization of his army with military districts called Inspections, and authorized new flags in the Inspection colors. However very few of these flags were issued and most regiments continued flying the 1797 flag.

Arkangel received it's new standards on 28/2/1800. Other regiment known to have received the 1800 flag were Moscow and Siberia on 6/3/1800, Smolensk on 7/3/1800, Tauride on 30/3/1800 and the newly raised Lithuania on 2/4/1800 and Kabardinsk on 17/12 1800.

Of the new regiments raised by Paul it appears that the earliest most of them received the new flag was 1805.

The 1800 pattern was carried on staves with a gilt spear tip type finial and the stave colors seem to have been used as a means of identifying regiments within the Inspections.

The Lithuania Inspection 's flags were "white" flag - white cross with red/black corners and a "coloured' flag - black cross and red corners.

Each Regiment got 1 "white" flag and 9 "coloured" flags

Hope this helps some.

:cheers;
    Larry

My source is :
    Osprey Men at Arms series Flags of the Napoleonic wars (2) Colours, Standard and Guidons of Austria, Britain, Prussia & Russia.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, your response has been helpful. I too have that Osprey book. I also have an issue of "Soldats Napoleoniens" # 8 which includes an article by Gerard GOROKHOFF which deals with the Russian standards captured by the French at Austerlitz. It indicates the 1800 model of black and red as you have stated. Unfortunately, it also has a picture of the standard in question as being yellow and white? I think that the text under the depiction must have been done in error. Do you know more about the 'inspections' concept? It appears that the regiments assigned to each 'inspection' have no geographical relevance (i.e.-Arkhangel Regt. to the Lithuania 'inspection'. Thanks again.

Jay