News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-6209-0-70741200-1393844157.jpgclick

This montage of photos date from 1900 and was by a local Durban photographer. The photos

show various events with-in Natal - including the Relief of Ladysmith. The remains of a rosette

are at the top. General Buller - top left was the Commander of British Forces in Natal. General

White was the Commander during the siege of Ladysmith.

I will show an enlargement of this below.

• 4 months later...

Very interesting, if it is an original. I have not seen one like it before.

I have something similar (see my "Photo Document" gallery on this site)

relating to the Great War, where events and leading military personalities

of the day are illustrated, in colour, with a panel in the centre, where a

soldier could add his own, 'personalised' photograph.

David - this was the first of it's type that I have come across. With the excitement of the Siege being

lifted a lot of people started selling souvenirs. I posted , somewhere, the original sheet from the

Mercury - printed in red, white and blue on linen backed paper.

Perhaps it's just that I'm getting older but, I don't think the same feelings of Patriotism to your Country

seem to exist today - electronics have lessened the impact of news. Mervyn

I have an original, posed, portrait photograph of a 4 year old child (Miss Irene Bulleier) taken in

June 1901 in Ladysmith by a local professional photographer at the time, Henry Kisch. Unfortunately

the siege was over (3.11.1899 - 28.2.1900) by that time.

It is the mother of F/Sgt Eric Williamson, S.A.A.F. - who medals are illustrated in my "Album" elsewhere

on this site. It is certainly possible that she was resident in Ladysmith during the siege, but I have no

confirmation of that. I have another, of Williamson's Grandmother (Lady Bulleier) and his mother, Irene,

as a baby taken in 1897, and yet another of Williamson's mother and father, on their wedding day, 1920.

When I got Williamson's medals, from a family member of his, apart from his medals, where a wealth of

personal photos; photos of the War from Somalia, north Africa and Italy. Also personal papers, cards,

stamps and war paper currency he had from various countries, including military currency, AND most

valuable of all, a 1944 Golden Silkworm - named, but not to Williamson. An amazing lot of stuff.

With all this, I did a three page write-up on Williamson. But the whole collection - in an A4 "flip-file"

takes up 46 pages........