News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nightbreak - as you say George 4th (1820-30). This style is known as a Baluster shape and was in common use,

particularly around the Manchester area. This one is in poor condition - one of the problems with old truncheons

is that when a hammer is needed - they were often substituted. You can actually see the cut cross nail heads.

The rest of the body is still nicely polished - they served as both a tipstaff and an emergency weapon - usually about

7 to 10 inches long ( 18-27cm). With this condition I think up to 150 pounds would be ample ($240) Mervyn

Then I was very lucky, as I acquired this specimen for only 60 pounds. When looking around the internet, I saw a much better condition Victorian one (exactly the same, except for a ribbed handle) with the Manchester City coat of arms on it. It had sold last year at auction for 80 pounds.

I was just unsure as to where it would have been used, with nothing but the crown and cipher. Would this be just a piece used for identification of an officer, or a desk piece?

A tipstaff (tipstave - a plurality word) was the badge of office for many different categories. Judges, Chief Constables,

Parish Constables, Insspectors of Pavements - really, anyone of some importance who needed to show their authority.

Their history can be traced back a thousand years. Most disappeared from use in the late Victorian period - although

some are still used on ceremonial occasions. Your Manchester tipstaff was a silly price - more like 4/500 pounds.

However, not everyone recognises them. My book showed that there are probably between 2 and 3000 still in

existance.

If you are going to collect you need a ref. book. Some copies are in the UK - if you want to buy a copy please IM me. Mervyn