News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

5586 Corporal R Charnock East Lancashire Regiment Boer War

Hi
    Help, please.
    I have a QSA/KSA pair to this man, but cannot find any record of his entitlement on the nominal roll WO 100/184 or through an Ancestry search. Can anybody help? Is there an obvious answer I'm missing? QSA claps are CC,OFS, TVL and KSA Clasps are SA 01 and SA 02.The only R Charnock who shows up on the medal rolls against South Africa through Ancestry is described by them as belonging to the 4th Battalion Kings German Legion! This was in being during the Napoleonic Wars and disbanded in 1816. The actual roll is to the 4th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment-just shows you can't always believe what you read. His clasp entitlement is different.
    With help from David Biggins on the Anglo-Boer War Forum I've established that Roger Charnock, born Warrington in 1880, joined 3rd Batt E Lancs (militia) on 31/3/97 and then 1st Battn on 14/3/98. My man's number was 5586, and I discovered that this falls into the correct timeline of number 5579 being issued on 1 Feb 98 and 5950 on 25 April 1898. In the 1901 census(taken on 31 March)I have found a Pte Roger Charnock, East Lancs Regt, born in Warrington about 1879, at The Royal Victoria Hospital ( Netley Military Hospital) at Southampton. I am assuming this is the same man. I don't know why he was there or if he'd been in South Africa beforehand. The 1st battalion reached South Africa in February 1900 and was still there in 1902 . He's 'Corporal' on the medals so was presumably promoted after March 1901 if the medals are correct and genuine.
    There's no indication that the medals have been renamed and the font is correct, although the lettering doesn't look as though it's been done by machine.
    I'm stuck,and would welcome any ideas , suggestions or facts!
    Patrick