News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Medals and small groups

cazack

Just wanted to share some of my Indian medal collection. I have just started collecting Indian medals and like the fact that a majority are numbered and named. I find that they are not as easy to find to buy as other countries, but maybe that will be some of the fun in collecting Indian medals

Caz

yes they all are Suraksha Clasps

awarded to the following:

• 44011443, Sepoy, Singh. G, SLI
    • 15379543, SM, Singh. A.K. (no regiment on medal)
    • 4569947, Sepoy, Suba. S, GC (not sure what unit GC is)
    • IC - 43895, Major, Vknair. V.S., Artillery

Excellent collection Caz, thanks for sharing them with us.

It is my opinion based on observation that the medals of Independant India are getting harder to find. It was not that long ago that is seemed that the market was flooded with them but now that "flood" seems to have subsided. A friend of mine, and fellow GMIC member, living India, has told me that these medals are no longer available in the street markets as they once were.

Regards

Brian

Hi Michael,

I would think you are correct about the increase in the interest in their own country's history; that and the increased affluancy of some sections of the population.

The other factor, in my opinion, is that there is a finite number of medals with an infinite number of collectors. It's the "American Buffalo" scenerio all over again. Collectors thought that there would always be an abundance of Indian Medals so this area went unnoticed for years (lucky for me), now more collectors are taking a second look and starting to collect.

Regards

Brian

thanks for the feedback and replies

I have couple of questions in regards to rank and unit abbreviations.

I have a pair of medals (Paschimi Star, Sangram Medal) that was given to Singh. M, 27391 and lists his rank as MTD, unit is the IAF (Indian air force I take it. can anyone tell e what rank is MTD? Also I have a Sainya Seva Medal B & A Clasp stating the rank as DMT, Again any idea on the rank

lastly I have a Special service medal, Suraksha clasp to a Sepoy, the unit abbreviation is G.S. what could this unit be

kind regards and thanks in advance

Caz

Hi Caz,

I can't seem to locate my notes (renovations) on INdia regimental abbrevations at the moment.

The only one I can recall of the three you are asking after is G.S. which stands for General Service. I do have some medals marked G.S. but once again due to renovations and the need to store furniture in the study I can't locate them.

Perhaps Larry can shed some light on your question.

Regards

Brian

Hi Caz

Would it be possible to get some scans of the engraving? It's is not unheard of that a bad stamp or engraving can look like a different letter.

One example that comes to mind was a Paschimi Star to a COOK SMRI.P.SINGH DMC turns out it was COOK SMRI.P.SINGH EME.

:cheers:
    Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Larry,

Once again you make a very good point.

Those of us interested in collecting the medals of Independent India know every well the poor state of some stampings.

We even see letters stamped the worng way around producing a backwards "E", for example.

Regards

Brian

That's the first time I've seen any letters associated in this manner along with the regimental number.

To paraphrase Ed Haynes, "Anything can happen and In India at least twice". ;)

I hope others, like myself, will keep digging for the answer. Steak and beer at my place for whoever comes up with the answer first. :cheers:

Regards

Brian

Funny you should mention Ed Haynes, as I took the opportunity to ask Samir Arora on SAGongs. Here is his reply

Hi Larry,

Hope you are well.

My guess would be that MTD is Motor Transport Driver

DMT would be Driver Motor Transport (could also be Director of Military Training, but i dont think so in this case)

The last one i am not so sure of but general staff, general service or general support or even ground support come to mind.

I am not really sure...but this should give you some ideas with which to move on.

Hope i have managed to be of some help!

Best as always,

Samir.

Hope it helps some

Larry

hello Larry (and Samir)

thanks for your input and the information provided has answered my questions. Maybe it would be good to start a database of rank and unit abbreviations for post 1947 Indian medals

Also does anyone know where you can buy Indian medal ribbons?

again thanks to all for your help and assistance

Caz

• 3 weeks later...

The fun ones are the pre-'47 ranks: 'mistri' [and it is], lascar, syce, chaprassi and so on. Now its mostly odd abbreviations and, as noted, misspellings done I suspect by Hindi speaking mint workers whose grasp of English and military nomenclature is less than perfect. Or clerks who just don't care much, a universal in civil services!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share some of my Indian medal collection. I have just started collecting Indian medals and like the fact that a majority are numbered and named. I find that they are not as easy to find to buy as other countries, but maybe that will be some of the fun in collecting Indian medals

Caz

Thanks for starting this. I thought i had a good number of India medals YA maybe about 1/2 of 1% or so. This forum rocks wow i have never said that before. best,Ray

• 9 years later...
    Guest portadownmedals

Jeremy Tenniswood militaria has lots of post '47 ribbon + inexpensive. Can anybody give me a dealer source for Indian Republic medals in the UK?