News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Black Star

Hi , I am researching an officer of the 12th Lancers a Major Thomas Reginald Badger OBE . The last piece of information I have of him is in the London gazette saying he had been made a "Commandeure ordre L'etoile noire " or the order of the black star in 1920. My question is why would a British officer be awarded a french decoration and I also believe this award was somehow linked to African service and the king of Dahomey . Could someone please explain how this could have came about ? and would anyone have any information on the above officer .

Regards

Several possible explanations come to mind.

The first is that he was attached to French troops, possibly colonials, and did some noteworthy service, either gallantry or distinguished service. Several recipients of the Black Star for the WWI period include a Belgian fighter ace, a balloon buster, and an American army officer who worked on ordnance and armaments in France. Neither had any connection to French West Africa nor, in the strictest sense, to the French Army but presumably were recognized for general 'service to the Allied cause. Your man may be a similar case.

The second explanation is slightly less flattering, but only slightly. The Allies tended to 'swap' awards, sending round lots of decorations with the suggestion that they be given to deserving souls. I once owned a group to an Indian Army cavalry officer [37th Lancers] who got the Roumanian Order of the Crown with Swords for WWI service. The explanation, offered by a fellow officer of the regiment, was that he didn't quite qualify for an MC for some brave exploit, that the Roumanians sent round a basket of gongs to the British at Christmas and that this was his consolation prize, so to speak. Has a frightening ring of plausibility to it, IMHO, and there are certainly examples of awards by Allies to others who had clearly had no links, direct or otherwise, to the Allied nation making the award. Perhaps as simple as a newspaper or gazette entry or MID catching the eye of a French general.

So there are two theories. I'm sure there are more. Hope it helps.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

• 2 weeks later...

What a shock to toss Reginald Badger's name into a late-night google search, and discover that someone is looking for information on him - in the last 10 days. A very odd coincidence.

He was a remarkable man who was my step-gran's first husband. They were married in 1923, and he died in about 1957. I am curious as to what has prompted your interest. If there is any way of getting in direct contact rather than discussions via this site, that might be preferable.

Regarding his decoration, I never heard about any connection to West Africa, so I suspect that one of the other commenter's explanations is correct.

Thanks for your post. He would be quite amazed to find that 100 years after he was wounded, he was being discussed on this thing even more extraordinary that the wireless!

• 3 months later...

The Great War produced a high demand for French decorations for the Allies fighting alongside French Troops. Whereas the Allies had or expanded their series of military decorations, the French had only the Legion of Honor. In order to preserve the prestige of the LOH, various junior French orders were pressed into service, being awarded outside of their original purpose and context. These included the Black Star, the Academic Palms, the Agricultural Merit, and the Medals of Honor from the various French ministries. Thus the LOH could be reserved for the most outstanding services rendered, or for award to just the most senior officers. Lesser degrees of service, and lower ranking officers were placated with these other decorations.