News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ENTERTAINMENTS NATIONAL SERVICE ASSOCIATION (ENSA)

Does anyone know anything about ENSA or the ENTERTAINMENTS NATIONAL SERVICE ASSOCIATION?

Uniform? Badges? Were they awarded medals or Mentioned in Despatches? Photos of them? Rolls? etc.etc.

Note: This topic could be put under many different headings.

Edited by MetPolice

I remember the organisation - they were set-up to provide entertainments for the troops. Popular stars

volunteered their services and ENSA would arrange a venue and travel. Presumably the ENSA staff would

have worn a uniform - with identification and I expect they would have been eligible for various awards.

The 'Stars' would have been given awards from the Civil List for service.

They must have been quite a large body and it would be intersting if anyone has further - more detailed,

information. Mervyn

Hi,

Uniforms were introduced at Basil Dean's behest as he was worried that if the artistes were captured they could be shot as spies (a very real posibility). The uniforms consisted of standard pattern battle dress and any standard war theatre uniforms such as Jungle Green bush jackets or Airtex. The only insignia allowed on the uniforms was the standard ENSA shoulder titles. Although not having any rank, all ENSA performers were granted officer status so that they could use the mess facilities. The only artiste never to wear uniform was Tommy Trinder who, when it was put to him, said "if I get captured, I deserve to be shot!"

E.N.S.A (Entertainments National Service Association) members were entitled to be awarded the Defense Medal.

Dame Vera Lynn recieved the Burma Star In 1985 for entertaining British guerrilla units in Japanese-occupied Burma. She was also awarded the War Medal1939-1945.

Here is a few images of ENSA uniforms.

https://www.pinterest.com/paperdolls1/ensa-wwii/

ENSA cap badge and Dame Vera Lynn with her Medals

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Eddie - you have added greatly to our knowledge - thankyou for your post. I saw Dame Vera Lynn in

the papers quite recently - she had just been given an award. Probably the one you mention.

How awful that I can still remember - as a young boy - hearing her on the radio during the war........... Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding from an old Medal News article from 1980 is that campaign stars were awarded to ENSA personnel, including those in Burma who never actually made it beyond what's now Bangladesh.

• 6 months later...

Having recently acquired the medal group of ENSA dancer and singer Pauline Guy (who performed as Pauline Gaye) - 39-45, Africa, France & Germany, Defence and War Medals - I have been doing some digging into these questions. The following is mostly drawn from information contained in Greasepaint and Cordite, by Andy Merriman.

Between 1939 and 1946, ENSA put on 2,565,656 cinema shows and theatrical performances to an audience estimated to be in excess of 500,000,000. ENSA members performed from Iceland to Burma, taking in NW Europe, Germany, West and North Africa, the Middle East and the Indian sub-continent. Given the demands upon it, it is unsurprising that its live performances were not always of West End quality, and it came in for a great deal of underserved criticism as a result. No-one paused to reflect that whilst they seemed to expect every ENSA member to be Gracie Fields, or John Geilgud, or George Formby, they did not expect every soldier to be Monty, or Wavell, or Slim!

The man who ran it, Basil Dean, was so unpopular that ENSA was denied a place amongst the civilian organisations in the Victory Parade in London in 1945. It was not until the RBL permitted civilian organisations to march in the Remembrance Day parade in 2000 that ENSA veterans were at last recognised for their contribution to the war effort.

I have no data (yet) on the number of ENSA members deployed to theatres of war.

Entitlement to campaign stars and medals as one of the "specially approved civilian categories" is confirmed in War Office publication code WO1911, paragraph 9, sub-paragraph (d) "N.A.A.F.I. (Overseas)" as "Entertainments National Service Association (E.N.S.A.)"

There is no dedicated museum, archive, or other centre for information about ENSA.

One ENSA member was killed during the war. Nineteen-year-old dancer Vivien Hole (stage name Vivienne Fayre) was travelling in a lorry which hit a landmine in Holland in January, 1945. The blast took both of her legs off, and she died en route to a field hospital. She is buried in the Sittard War Cemetery, Limburg.

• 6 months later...

I hope I'm OK to join the group (being a Lady not a Gentleman!) but I saw this topic while researching ENSA for my Vera Lynn tribute act and had something to add.

There was another reason for ENSA civilians to be allowed to wear uniform and had nominal officers rank whilst working. In the event of an enemy advance and an evacuation, civilians had last place on military transport so there was a chance that ENSA performers without military rank might be left behind. With officer status they could demand a place.

I have a small collection of ENSA memorabilia and it' a pity there's no museum to donate it to. One of the items is a letter to an amateur musician in Ireland hoping he would join ENSA - it illustrates how hard it was for Basil Dean to find the (3000+ if I remember right) performers he needed from amongst the small group of people who had not been called up for the military or for war work.

I'm striving for accuracy in my uniform (I have a better ENSA hat now than in the photo - Vera Lynn left, me right - the original ENSA hat was unique to them - the rest of the uniform was not - although I believe the buttons were unusual being basket-weave leather - but that's something I haven't been able to confirm yet).

twinned solo shots.JPG

Edited by Samantha

• 7 years later...

My father was an Artist/ Musician and was awarded the Africa Star medal for his services in North Africa. I don’t recall him referring to a uniform. His name was Jack Hillier. Very hard to find anything about these services during Second World War. I remember him referring to Constance Carpenter.