News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII era Royal Navy Senior Officer's Visor Cap

This is a cap for RN ranks of commander and captain. It is named on the sweatband to a Surgeon Captain. The maker is Gieves, which can be barely made out under the right light.

The material is a very soft, high quality doeskin wool.

Comments appreciated.

Very good example. I notice it has a red dot in the center of the crown and I have been told that was changed to a blue dot in the 1920's.

Here it is on an example from my collection, to show to what I mean.

Gieves are one of the top military tailors in London. With King's Crown it is probably of WW2 vintage.

Nice condition - although it does seem to have a large peak. Mervyn

I believe that larger peak is common with WWII era caps, including army and RAF versions. I cannot say that ALL caps had a larger peak, but many that I have seen in hand, and in photos, have a larger peak than current examples.

Very good example. I notice it has a red dot in the center of the crown and I have been told that was changed to a blue dot in the 1920's.

attachicon.gifRN reserve cap band detail annotated.jpg

Can't say that I paid all that attention to the crown backing. I really don't have a lot of reference material on RN uniforms.

Would I be correct in assuming that a Surgeon Captain would likely be RN, rather than RNR or RNVR?

attachicon.gifRN reserve cap band detail annotated.jpg

That's an interesting observation Jerry. I went trough my collection of RN cap badges and I have noticed that I have many KC badges with a blue diamond, and some with a red diamond. All badges with QC have the blue diamond, which would support your remark.

That's an interesting observation Jerry. I went trough my collection of RN cap badges and I have noticed that I have many KC badges with a blue diamond, and some with a red diamond. All badges with QC have the blue diamond, which would support your remark.

I don't remember where I picked the information up from, but as far as I am aware it is accurate. Though like all such things there was probably somewhat of an overlap as old stock is used up.

Very interesting observation on the jewels in the rim of the Crown. Red , of course, was a ruby

and blue - a sapphire. I must look up a picture of the Crown to see which one is actually there ?

Must have had a reason to change and your comment on dates seems plausible. Mervyn

Further to the matter of the blue or red diamond, some photos from my collection

Do they show any correlation datewise with their being red or blue?

Another from my collection, not Navy but Army Tankers NCO arm badge. Certainly post 1920's in this case.