News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ITALY. Dating a breast star of the Order of St-Maurice & St-Lazar

Hello all,

I have been trying to date this breast star (unfortunalely with enamel missing on the cross of St.Maurice)

Could someone suggest a date considering the reverse shows this FRATELLI BORANI maker's mark ?

I believe this firm was bought up by CRAVENZOLA at one time, but this is uncertain..

Thanks for your help. It will be fully appreciated.

Veteran

I would date at around 1870, as Rome was not part of the Kingdom of Italy until then, in 1871 Domenico Cravanzola took over the firm, while the may have kept the Borani logo for a short period I doubt if it would have been more than a year or so.

Paul

The firm Borani moved fro Torino to Rome in 1871. Later it was took over by Cravanzola (Paul Wood wrote in 1871, I can not confirm this). Thus the date should be exactly 1871.

Infos about Borani-Cravanzola-Gardino can be read in the website of the Gardino firm, here:

http://www.gardino.it/chi.html

A box for the Order of the Crow of Italy having both Borani and Cravanzola marks can be seen here http://www.mymilitaria.it/liste_04/corona_umberto.htm, it's a sample for sure dated before 1900, since it was the date of death of king Umberto I

Thank you all for the useful information provided. Paul's opinion added to Claudio's most interesting suggestion.is exactly what I needed.

I had a hunch this was a rather unusual mark, but I did not realize it probably had such a short period of use.

Hope to be of the same help to both some other time.

Veteran