News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7 May, 1954. Fall of fortress Dien Bien Phu

Hello readers.

On May 7, 1954 towards evening French forces of the garrison ceased combat actions at the siege area of Dien Bien Phu . An attempt of the garrison of strongpoint Isabelle located some distance away, to break out failed.

A long march into captivity began for the exhausted survivors of whom only a small number would see liberty after the conclusion of an armistice later that year.

This post is meant to perhaps bring back some attention to a battle long ago during which French Forces consisting of practically all the different components making up the French expeditionary corps plus the Indochinese troops fighting alongside it, resisted the attacks by Vietminh troops. For the whole duration of the war Indochinese prisoners had the smallest percentage of survivors , official figures showed 1,435 returned of 15,759 who disappeared and were presumed to have been taken prisoner.The mortality rate of all prisoners taken at Dien Bien Phu was 72 % and that during four months of captivity.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello.

Thanks to all who placed their posts regarding this reminder of a war largely forgotten and perhaps only remembered by the ever dwindling number of those who participated.

Michael has selected some who lost their lives during that conflict based on the official French data base of the fatal losses by French forces in Indochina. Very unfortunately with many inaccurate transcriptions of locations, names, units and other vital data. But still very valuable to retrieve information to assist in research.

I take the liberty to once again mention the name of my boyhood friend Leg.1.cl. Kurt (Bob) Armbrecht, 1.BEP missing in action at Dien Bien Phu and officially declared Mort pour la France with date of 8 May, 1954. His family has erected a large memorial stone in their family plot on the local cemetery I had the opportunity to visit.

Bernhard H. Holst