News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Father-in-Laws RN Medals

[attachmentid=29457]

I don't know if these are of interest (not my field), they were my Father-in-Laws who was in the RN of course and after the war until the late 60's the Coast Guard. He said he was entitled to a couple more but never asked for them (something to do with N. Atlantic & Russia). These were in a box, no ribbons attached (I had them ribboned after he passed away). He never acknowledged them, said the wars cost too many friends, again something he never spoke of.

I do hope they are in the right order.

On the Edge (rim) J.46817 (PO.B.17561) H. Everson. A.B.R.F.R.

On another J.46817 H.Everson A.B.R.N.

[attachmentid=29457]

I don't know if these are of interest (not my field), they were my Father-in-Laws who was in the RN of course and after the war until the late 60's the Coast Guard. He said he was entitled to a couple more but never asked for them (something to do with N. Atlantic & Russia). These were in a box, no ribbons attached (I had them ribboned after he passed away). He never acknowledged them, said the wars cost too many friends, again something he never spoke of.

I do hope they are in the right order.

On the Edge (rim) J.46817 (PO.B.17561) H. Everson. A.B.R.F.R.

On another J.46817 H.Everson A.B.R.N.

Hallo Humber, :beer: what a great looking set of medals, even re-ribboned, well at least when you look at them you will be reminded of your Father-in-law service in WW1 & WW2 something, I am sure even your wife must be proud of :jumping: even though the women folk tend not to show it to much. And something for your desendents to hopefully cherish.

Welcome to the G.M.I.C. as well

Kev in Deva.

Mr Humber,

Welcome to the GMIC!

A very nice set of medals...i hope you honour him and keep these ...even frame them!

They are in some order...but if you swap the 1939-45 star with the Atlantic star...they will be in perfect order.

Once again a hearty welcome!

Regards

Paul

A very nice group indeed.

One small point is that the last medal appears to be the Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service Medal, judging by the ring suspension, and the ribbon on his ribbon bar, but you were given Royal Navy Long Service and Good Conduct Medal ribbon. Easy enough to fix.

The other medal he did not apply for is almost certainly the Russian 40th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War (or the Great Patriotic War, as they call it). I mounted up a R.C.N.V.R. group which belonged to one of my father's law partners, and it included that medal. I believe that the Soviet Government awarded it to quite a a few Commonwealth sailors who had been involved in the Murmansk run.

This article Murmansk Medal suggests that you may still apply for it. I'm sure it applies equally to Commonwealth sailors, although you would apply to the local Russian Embassy.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Guest Rick Research

Should there not also be a WW2 Defense Medal in this group?

The EX Soviet Union did not bestow jubilee medals posthumously, nor (unlike actual campaign medals) were those "skipped" retro-awarded previous issues. 1995 and 2005 medals have superceded 1985's.

The Defence Medal was not easy for naval types to earn, though they did do so on rare occasion. The absence is not surprising. The conditions for earning the DM are amazingly complex.

I am glad to see others correct the (1) wrong LSCG ribbon and (2) out-of-order display and flipped ribbons. Worth getting mounted, but make sure it is done right, please.

A lovely group, with much history behind it. Not a good idea to add presumably "entitled" but never awarded (= "fantasy") medals. That betrays what is important, true, and accurate here.

Edited by Ed_Haynes