News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Chile

A while back I asked for help in finding information about the ODM of Chile. Now I am busy putting together the results of my reseach.

Legion of Merit of Chile

Legion de Mérito de Chile

The first award created in Chile was the Legion of Merit of Chile. It was instituted on 1 June 1817 by the Supreme Director Bernardo O'Higgins. In March of that year, he had abolished all titles and outward signs of nobility, and established the Legion to reward services to the nation or personal merit. Initially, awards were made to members of the army and other individuals who had fought for independence.

The first type, awarded 1817-1820, was awarded in two classes, Gold and Silver. The Silver was only given to those who distinguished themselves in the Battle of Chacabuco in June 1817.

Type 1 in Gold

The badge was worn on a pale blue neck ribbon. It has eight rays joined by a laurel wreath with a scroll at the top. The obverse shows a volcano surrounded by the inscription HONOR Y PREMIO AL PATRIOTISMO. The reverse bears the inscription LEGION DE MERITO DE CHILE around a depiction of a column surmounted by a globe.

The badge is 42 x 29mm, and the two classes differed only in the metal used.

Type 1 in Silver

In 1820, the Legion was amended to consist of four classes: Grand Officer (Grandes Oficiales de la Legion), Officer (Oficiales de la Legion), Sub-Officer (Sub-oficiales de la Legion) and Legionnaire or Member (Legionarios ó Miembros de la Legion). The class received depended on the rank of the recipient, with Generals becoming Grand Officers, Colonels becoming Officers, Majors becoming Sub-Officers and Lieutenants becoming Legionnaires. Those who were not in the army received an appropriate class of award to their station.

All those awarded the Legion were required to swear on their honour to defend Chile, to sustain its liberty and independence and not to forget the duty and 'glorious distinction' for which they were decorated. They received certain privileges including an annual pension (Grand Officers received 1000 pesos, Officers 500 pesos, Sub-officers 250 pesos and Legionnaires they were 150 pesos), the right to be tried by a court of fellow Legionnaires rather than the civil or military court and they should be accommodated on any ranch free of charge when travelling around the country.

The ribbon remained sky blue. Grand Officers wore the redesigned badge from a sash over the right shoulder with a star on the left breast. Officers wore a neck badge. Sub-Officers and Legionnaires wore breast badges, those of Sub-Officers being gold and Legionnaires silver.

Type 2 Grand Officer Badge

Type 2 Grand Officer Star

Type 2 Sub-Officer

This is all I have found for the Legion of Merit so far... and boy, did it take some hunting!