News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Over sized 8 Year SS Service Medal

Has any one ever heard of a 8 Year SS Service Medal that is 42 mm. in diameter? Around 20 years ago I received one that came out of a opera house that was being torn down. There was a West Wall medal included. No one knows where it came from or how it came to be in a opera house.

Is this a reproduction?

The diameter is 42 mm and the rim is 2.74 mm. at the top and 2.70 mm. at the bottom.

I wasn't sure if this was the correct topic to post this in.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Similar oversized example shown on page 157 of Angolia's 'For Fuehrer and Fatherland' Vol. 2 (1978). Photo came from Mohawk Arms.

So .................. at least we can say that this type existed in 1978.

Earlier than that ???

Who knows.

Certainly well made.

Similar oversized example shown on page 157 of Angolia's 'For Fuehrer and Fatherland' Vol. 2 (1978). Photo came from Mohawk Arms.

So .................. at least we can say that this type existed in 1978.

Earlier than that ???

Who knows.

Certainly well made.

Thanks for the information. After posting this I was told in the book WORLD WAR 2 GERMAN MEDALS BY CHRISTOPHER AILSBY on page 134 there is a discussion

that it possibly was a manufacturer's design test strike. The other theory was that this was the original size made larger to differentiate it from the 4 year (original medal)

in wear but there is nothing to back up the claim.

As you say, it is a well made medal.

Bob