News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One piece 800S cross...

OK,

my thoughts on this... it is an unusual piece, and as such will raise questions right off the bat.

I dont have a 100% pedigree, although the source is IMHO believable... but that and $8 will get you a cup of coffee.

The piece is of very high quality, with the exception of the repair. It is possible that it has been repainted, but I am not sure, so I dont want to mess with it. On the places where the paint has flaked I THINK I see that under the surface it is rough, so the paint can grip I suppose.

I suppose the "Why make a silver cross" is a legitimate question... but "why not?" is also legitimate... after all, we have enamle ones as well...

2 Thoughts cross my mind... Mabe some guys would have liked a pure silver cross? It represents a certain value... secondly... it is way easier for the maker... one stamping, then add the hook and needle... paint it, then finished..... as opposed to stamping rims, making core, having the core and rims soldered, then adding the furniture....

I would welcom any opinions and thoughts on this and will try for better photos tonight..

I have seen one piece nickel silver crosses so why not 800 silver as well. I'm sure if you had the money you could buy what you wanted as long as you were authorized. At least he didn't have to worry about it rusting.

Chris,

If it were common practise why are there not more to see?

Does not a one piece item represent economy of effort and saving of time and money so why silver?

If a customer wanted an all silver cross it would be easier to strike the iron core in silver than create a whole new die if you were already making crosses?

Are the nickle versions the same strike as this and how common are one piece crosses from WW1?

That is not to say some silver smith went out on a limb and didn't do as many as he thought as they slid into second place?

Jock :)

Chris,

If it were common practise why are there not more to see?

That is not to say some silver smith went out on a limb and didn't do as many as he thought as they slid into second place?

Hi,

some of the Commercially made KMST pieces have only one or two known examples out there.

Chris,

Does not a one piece item represent economy of effort and saving of time and money so why silver?

Quite possibly a maker/Jewller who entered the game without the machinery to make a 3 piece cross? It is not the easiest piece to make...

I agree with Don. The cross looks like a Schickle.

IMO it's a known cross style with upgraded materials being used.

If indeed it is actually made of silver.

I've seen one one-piece screwback and one one-piece EK2 offered marked 800. Both were exactly this same type, which is indeed made by Otto Schickle. I never held either of the two pieces I saw before, but I was always just a bit skeptical that they were really silver. However, now I've seen one screwback EK1, one EK2, and one pinback EK1, and they're all exactly the same type... so it's seeming a bit more likely that they're all good.

I would love to see the results of a silver test on this piece. Why not send it to Don so he can use his magic machine on it?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Don. The cross looks like a Schickle.

IMO it's a known cross style with upgraded materials being used.

If indeed it is actually made of silver.

Just back from the Jewellers... it is indeed solid silver, other than the furniture at the back.

Best

Chris

Wow, Chris. that makes for one very rare variant.

Congratulations.

Could you tell me how heavy it is? I would think it

would feel considerably heavier that a standard Ek.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1 year later...