News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jewish Officer and Holocaust survivor....

The mailman just delivered this 20 minutes ago.

You cannot believe how much I am in awe to own a piece of history like this.

A theater company stock of uniforms was coming on sale... There was a good amount of stuff there, but a lot of it obviously redone either period or by the theater company tailors.... and there was this one.... which I bought.

I dont know why, I am not really big on artillery, and even less so on Veternarians.... but it was named, so why the hell not....

Glenn and Dave helped me the first step of the way....

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/62542-stabsveterinaer-dr-kantorowicz/

A bit more research shows that he was one of a handfull of Jews who survived the war, living openly in Berlin.

It must have been a terrible existence, from some preliminary research the it seems the clock was always ticking...

He was married to a Gentile, had the EK1....

One by one the Germans arrested the "protected Jews"... at some stage WW1 service was no longer a protection, those in essential industry were replaced by Ost Arbeiter.... by the end of the war, about the only group that was afforded some protection, where the Nazis could not afford to move on them, were the spouces of Aryan Germans.... Apparently hitler wanted to leave that problem for after the war... There was even a protest...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenstrasse_protest

In an article it seems our Vet had contacts who would warn him when the Gestapo wanted to pick him up for interviews...

It must have been a life lived under a huge cloud of terror....

I think this is a uniform worthy of full restoration.

I know some folks dont like items to be touched, but in this case I will not follow the "What one theater company pulled asunder shall be restored by no man" philosophy.

I have a line on a set of shoulder boards. A small shot at the correct Collar tabs.

Still needed is a ribbon bar with a Württemberg Friedrichsorden and EK ribbon, and 4 good conditioned buttons to replace the Wehrmacht ones on the cuffs...

Then I think Richard Israel Kantorowicz will be honored in a way...

Hi Chris,

thank you for this great and a very interesting story!

.... Then I think Richard Israel Kantorowicz will be honored in a way...

... that's wonderful! Best regards,

Jens

p.s.: here you will find (on page 178 ff) a picture and a vitae from Dr. Kantorowicz:

http://elib.tiho-hannover.de/dissertations/moellersg_2002.pdf

Kantorowicz, Dr. phil. Richard, *7. Februar 1876 in Posen - † 24. Mai 1949 in Berlin
    picture from 1939 - wearing a small miniature from his WW1 awards.

he was still stalwartly wearing his iron Cross miniatures in 1939 as shown in the photo above. He probably did not mind the wehrmacht as much as trhe Gestapo! :-)

Perhaps not but good luck in finding some Imperial buttons soon in order to restore the karma!

The Jacket has a really interesting collar. It has been unstiffened, and as you can see, pinched together and sewn in the front so that it does not stand so high. At first I thought this may have been the theater company, but then you can see the traces of the Collar tabs fitting perfectly... the sewing is also very old from accumulated dust/dirt.

It is a wild guess, but I think this was a working jacket and a stiff high collar was not practical when you are treating sich horses....

Chris,

Somehow it escaped me that this fellow was a veterinarian. I thought you were looking for the tabs of a people doctor. I do have a proper set of tabs (M10) for a vet! I also have a pair of M10 Stabsveterinär boards, but they are for a Württemberg officer, not a Prussian.

Chip

Chip, are the black collar and cuff Litzen still from 1.Brandenburgisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr.2

Hardy,

This Dragoner Rgt. didn't have Litzen. (If I understand your question correctly).

I think the piping? The collar and cuff in black and front in Crimson are for Tierärzte,

Best

Chris

Yes, the black collar piping is still from DR2

Edited by Naxos

Hi,

Although the jacket originally had sew in boards, I was stuck in a bit of a conundrum... Do I have the tailor close up the seams on the jacket, and put these as on as slip ons, or should he open these along the bottom and then sew them in.

Although not 100% as my guy had it, I went for the least invasive surgery, he will just close the open seams, then put these as slip ons...

The buttons are the regular Prussian ones in officers, with "extra fine" on the back...

like these, but still with their finish....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/191208895947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

By chance at a show I found a selection of buttons, including a smaller shoulder board one and 4 nice ones for the cuffs.

The Tailor has closed up the seems, I will use the boards as slip on boards...

Almost there....

I hope to get up to the cemetary in Berlin some time soon and take the jacket for a visit.

• 4 months later...