News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,i do hope this is the proper place for this. I need help with two medals I have come across,both from Africa . I will let the pictures do the asking but the questions are different ,the first a Nigeria 1886-1897 is it a fake ??. The second a 1933 Sudan Defence Force general service medal can anybody tell me anything about it?I have looked to no avail . Thank you for looking and any help at all,Ray

The Niger Company Medal was struck by Spink and Son, the silver examples when issued are named and are extremely rare. Spink struck later specimens which either have the S of SON below the bust deleted or have COPY stamped on the rim as a specimen they are still collectable but at about £100.

All the best,

Paul

Eddie and Paul I want to thank you both. Paul the medal I have is not marked copy nor is the letter missing and the person I bought it from insists its the real thing thou it does not have a name. He had a bronze one marked with the # but I was to slow to get it. He is in New York so it would be stupid of him to lie as it not far from me so I kind of think he believes it is real and I have no doubt as to his sincerity.Lord knows I guess. Eddie the info on the Sudan medal was for me a nice treat as far as what I paid. Thank you both again. One can always count on Paul for help.best,Ray

Re the Niger Company if it is not named it is at best an unnamed specimen which is sometimes seen with other campaign medals (In a future sale there is an unnamed specimen Sutlej and Punjab). As a specimen even if contemporary they are worth many times less than an officially named piece. Now the bronze with the number that is a rare beastie, pity you missed out on it.

Paul

SUDAN DEFENCE FORCE GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL,

The Sudan Defence Force General Service Medal was instituted on 4 November 1933, for award to personnel of the Sudan Defence Force (SDF) and Police, on the recommendation of the Kaid El’Amm for service in the field on minor campaigns in the Sudan, post 1933. A silver medal, the obverse bearing the cypher of the Governor General of the Sudan, and reverse, a stationary group of typical Sudanese soldiers, and below them, “The Sudan” in Arabic. The ribbon is a royal blue central stripe, edged by two yellow, then two black stripes. No clasps were to be awarded. (The medal was also awarded for action against Italian forces in certain areas of the Sudan from June 1940 to November 1941). (8950 Medals struck by the Royal Mint).

Another link with info on the 1933 series of medals: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/45943-sudan-governor-generals-service-medals/?hl=%2Bsudan+%2Bgovernor+%2Bgeneral

Cheers, Brian

Edited by Vanuatu Blue