News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old US Double Eagles

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-6209-0-81124300-1402318743.jpgclick

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-6209-0-28248200-1402318878.jpgclick

This is an 1896 United States 20 Dollar Gold Piece - or, as it is generally known a Double Eagle.

The first Gold Coins were of 10 Dollar denominations and became known as Eagles. They were

the largest denomination coin. However, this proved inadequate and the 20 dollar was created.

They are still made today - for collectors - but, have a different design.

These early Double eagles are of 22carat gold and sought after by collectors. I think this would only

rate FINE for grading.

Very cool :D and thank you for sharing it with us (especially the explanation on single and double eagle, as I would have been searching for hours for a "double eagle" on the image hehehehe)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-6209-0-32004000-1402319335.jpgclick

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-6209-0-49867800-1402319438.jpgclick

This is the earlier 1879 Double Eagle - a very sought after new minting. There were three

variations and I think this was a 'C'. Condition and grading is everything with high value

coins such as this - my opinion would only be FAIR condition. Some of the top grades are

over US$5,000..

Sadly, I expect many Americans will never have seen this coin - they belong to a past time

and another example would be the US silver dollars, which were not so long ago quite common.

Rising silver and gold prices soon had them hidden in safes.

I will show them together - front and then backs. Please feel free to add any info. or comments.

Both of the 20 dollars were struck at the San Francisco mint, hence the S beneath the eagles tail. The first year for the 20 dollars was 1849 however this date is unique, the only example residing in the Smithsonian, from 1850-1907 the liberty head design (as yours) was struck during this period at 4 mints, Philadelphia (no mark below eagles tail), Carson City (cc beneath eagles tail), New Orleans (O beneath eagles tails) and San Francisco (as Mervyn's pieces)in 1907 the design was changed with standing Liberty and a left facing flying eagle, the last date struck was 1933 when the US went off the gold standard, only one of the 1933s is available to own and it sold some years ago at $6 million dollars. While there are several rarities in the series, in the main, unless they are in absolutely mint condition they tend to be worth little more than their gold value.

All the best,

Paul

This is one American who has never seen the double eagle in the "flesh". We have a few of the old gold coins but only up to the $10. The color and texture of the gold is wonderful.

The silver dollars have virtually disappeared except among collectors, but I can remember my father being on a radio quiz program, "The $64 Dollar Question", probably in the 1950's. The prize was paid in silver dollars, which we held onto for years. The question? What is the color of the Beautiful Blue Danube?

Finally, please enjoy the wonderful Austrian march, "Under the Double Eagle".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sQSjMqFiM

Hugh - fond memories from the 50's - I used to listen to the 64$ Question on Aust. Radio. What was the answer to

the question ? I would have said a muddy grey......

The record was splendid and thankyou for making an attachment - I hope other members will take the time to listen.

I would think pre-war - what was interesing is it just says German Band , the actual recording was made in Japan.

Best wishes Mervyn

Oh, Mervyn, Mervyn, Mervyn! The answer is in the question - blue, of course. Not that it's true, it's just the answer. My father was an engineer, but he also had a sense of humor.

H

No, he got $64. That was the original saying. $64,000 would have been nice, but I think they would have had different questions. I think the television program "$64,000 Question" came along in the '70's? Never saw it, but they had a big scandal, feeding answers to the contestants. Charles Van Doren?

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...