News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 - 1871 Prussian War

johnnymac

Hi Jim,

The left hand one is made by the Monnaie de Paris, the other is probably made by Arthus-Bertrand, to be confirmed.

You should find the maker's mark on the reverse for the Monnaie de Paris or on the edge for Arthus-Bertrand.

Regards

Bison

Thanks for the come back

Sorry I do not have an example of either of them. I am asking, is one type suspension harder to find than the other, as the only one I encounter is the first type in my illustration.

Next are they from the time period or was one made at a later date?

Regards Jim.

Edited by johnnymac

First, no one of these medals is from the French Prussian war, since it has been established in 1911.

The demand from the Veteran was high, so private makers produced this medal at the same time with the Monnaie de Paris.

The private models are probably less numerous, and the special ones in silver, in gold or oversized are relatively scarce.

Regards

Bison

Please forgive me but, was this not the, Commemorative Medal of the 1870-1871 War? (Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1870–1871) Nov. 9 ,1911.

And do I understand you to say, the first medal was made by Monnaie de Paris and the second medal with the "barrel design suspension was made by a private maker!

If I have it correct, Vous été très utile, merci

Jim

Edited by johnnymac

You are correct.

This is actually the Commemorative Medal of the 1870-1871 war. But it has been created in 1911, 30 years after. Then when you ask to know what are those of the "period", obviously, there are none.

I have one of my grand uncle, attributed in June 1912 (he was almost 55), and the model is from Arthus-Bertrand, oversized, and silver plated. Therefore one can say that the private and 'official' models were made at the very early time of the attributions, but also later on...

Yours

Bison

Well Dr. Stranglove, you have been a big help to me, but I do have a last question. What is the thickness of this medal, would you say, it is closer to 2mm or 3mm?

Thanks again Bison

Best regards, Jim

Well, it depends where you take the measure. Let's say 2mm at 3 o'clock and 3mm at 6 o'clock.

To illustrate what I told you before, here is the medal of my great uncle. It is made by Arthus-Bertrand, in bronze but silver plated, diameter 36 mm, marked on the edge.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-2068-0-69048100-1402759268.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-2068-0-14865000-1402759292.jpg

Comparison with the regular Monnaie de Paris one, diameter 30 mm (note the "engagé volontaire" non-official bar) :

The diploma :

Regards

Bison