News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of the Arab Campaign 1892-1894

Medal of the Arab Campaign 1892-1894

Médaille de la Campagne Arabe 1892-1894

Medaille van der Arabische Veldtocht 1892-1894

The Medal of the Arab Campaign was instituted in 1895 and awarded to members of the 'Force Publique' (Belgian colonial force in the Congo) for service in operations to expel Arab slavers from the territory 1892-1894.

It is a dark bronze circular medal. The obverse shows the head of Leopold II, facing left, surrounded with the words LÉOPOLD II ROI SOUVERAIN DE L'ETAT INDET DU CONGO (Leopold II King Sovereign of the State of Congo) within a laurel wreath. The reverse bears the dates 1892-1894, with CAMPAGNE ARABE (Arab Campaign) below, also surrounded by a laurel wreath. The diameter: 32.4 mm and the weight 14g. The ribbon is striped yellow and pale blue, the colours of the Congo.

Edited by Megan

A very nice and desirerable medal.

On the top of my Belgian Congo list.

Unfortunatly many re-strikes have been made in the '70 ties, selling at 250€ and more.

I am not saying thise one is! To hard to judge by a picture.

This specimen is in the forthcoming Morton & Eden sale on 2 July (the dear souls there have given me the run of their catalogues...). If you like Belgian Congo stuff there are a couple of Type 1 Order of Leopold II items (Knight & Silver Medal) in the same sale.

Here an original and a copy/restrike

Original

camparabeik3.jpg

Copy/restrike

zjbdjo.jpgdy55ds.jpg

The differences between both

1. Wight original circa 14 gram - copie/restrike circa 17 gram.

2. By the copy/restrike are the letters more bolt and the E of Léopold has a big accent, on the original you can nearly see the accent.

3. By the copy/restrike is the beart and moustage les in detail than the original one.

Original and copy/restrike

origin10.jpgcopie11.jpg

Edited by g_deploige

• 4 months later...

Everything that is left of it (currently in Middelheimpark te Wilrijk)

attachicon.gif45.jpg

I`d say quite symbolic :whistle:

attachicon.gif46.jpg

It was dismantled, because it became controversial! Or not "political correct"........anymore.....!

Before that it stand at the entrance of the heretofore colonial high school.

• 2 weeks later...