News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An interesting purchase from a couple of months ago, and purchased as one Lot. Attached on the inside of the lid is a miniature tipstaff and lions head cape fastening. The other items were in the box. One ....a large wooden ceremonial type tipstaff that sits horizontally on its own stand.....and the two other truncheons. I was told that the box belonged to a retired Superintendent in the Lancashire Constabulary.

Edited by Ross Mather

A very nice find. They are all in the Baluster form - which is fairly typical for that area. The Crown is very

much a Ceremonial one. What period did the Supt. live-in ?

The right hand one has the Cypher for G1VR - George 4th. - and now that I look at the other one it is also

George 4th. That leaves the crowned tipstaff - almost certainly Georgian period - had it been William 4th , the

sides would have been more angular.

The small waistcoat pocket tipstaff - in brass - is by far the nicest of the group. I would say that it was made to match

the large Georgian one and they would have been presented - together - in the wooden box. There was probably a

scroll . Georgian Tipstaffs were often given on Appointment - usually by the Mayor or, someone who had made

the Promotion. An unusual find - and quite valuable. The two smaller tipstaffs may well have been carried on an

everyday basis - and are therefore, part of the overall set.

I suspect that the Supt. you mentioned either bought or, inherited the collection. Too early for him to have used them. Mervyn

Thank you so much for that information Mervyn. If one need to know....the leading authority on truncheons and tipstaffs will always come up trumps. I could not work out why the tiny tipstaff had a metal loop on the end? You have answered that for me......for fitting to a chain? Something like an 'Albert chain' I would presume? The guy I had it from said it was owned previously by a Superintendent in Lancashire....and was someone who was quite recent. It was suggested to me that the items were 'possibly' Mayoral, but unfortunately, there is no provenance. The central large tipstaff really is good quality - the crown and shaft are designed to allow them to separate. Ross

Edited by Ross Mather

Ross - where is the loop on the small tipstaff. It would have been intended to hang low on a neck chain - or,

to go around the wrist. Those intended to go in a waistcoat pocket, were usually without chains. Mervyn

ps. We haven't mentioned the two Lion's Head clasps. You will have recognised these as early Cape clasps -

and very sought after by collectors. However, these would have come into use during Victorian post 1837

period. I think they have just been added to the box as the later owner probably didn't know the date of his pieces.

Yes, its a strange combination of items! Believe it or not, I paid less than three figures for the lot! The box has nice quality brass handles and If you look at the photo Mervyn, you can see the metal loop at the very top of the crown. The loop is sitting sideways on, so you can't see that its a metal loop ....the type a chain runs through.