News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great joke: Order of the DD 1st type

utopis

The third image in Nick's post #49 was sold in the 2008 Tammann Collection auction. Interestingly, that example was a SCREWBACK with the "84" zolotniki mark and no maker's mark.

Here's the auction description:

"Order of the Double Dragon, 1st type (1882-1902), 3rd class, 1st grade breast star (ca. 1896-1902), siam. 80 mm, silver, centre silver gilt and enamelled, min. nearly invisible enamel chip pings, with blue paste stone in the centre, on the reverse St Petersburg silver mark "84" zolotniki from 1865 until 1899, with screwback.

In St Petersburg produced star corpus with applied Chinese manufactured centre. As the Russian hallmark's system changed in 1899 the time of the manufacturing of this breast star can be restricted to 1896 until 1899."

Paul - every time I refer to the Tammann Catalogue I mentally send you a cider :beer:

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

A very interesting topic and some wonderful photos of this Order.

It got me thinking- does anyone know if the Kaiser was awarded the Order of the Double Dragon? Perhaps Prince Chun brought one when he visited the Kaiser?

My thanks

Pierce