News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That`s what I call "mounting"

JapanX

I just don't understand them. The backgrounds make no sense to me. Yeah, O.K., the one is Japanese-themed, and perhaps there is some relationship bewteen the background and medals, but it eludes me. I would just think that awards of this level (really, ANY level) would have much more elegant homes. These come off as tacky and cheap to me. And why is the Rising Sun being displayed reverse visible? I do kinda like those frames that are made to contain document of issue, medal, case, rosette - the works, you know? Show it ALL man!! :lol: That way maybe you won't lose the other pieces in the set. And for gooness sake, keep the dang thing OUT of the sun, heat, bright lights, etc.

I get wanting to show pieces off, but I'm all for the museum approach that aims to conserve the piece - yeah, O.K., that's impractical by most counts, but.....

I'd be real carefull using those plastic boxes. Unless they're archival there can be " off gasses" that over time can tarnish & discolor

Edited by Jareth

I admit to having no taste when it comes to such things. Even the colour on the walls of my study were picked out by my wife so I showed her the mounts. She liked them, however, considering the idea should have been to show the decoration off this is a failure. As a decorator item, very well done; as a treatment for a rare collectable it misses the mark.

In this household ... the final word. ;)

Regards

Brian

I'd be real carefull using those plastic boxes. Unless they're archival there can be " off gasses" that over time can tarnish & discolor

Polystyrene is the plastic of choice for archival storage, or so I'm led to believe.

It's possible, but I left the lid with a slight spacing so that such gasses can escape ?

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Yeah, doesn't quit work that way. Though I don't think acrylic is the worst material you could use for storage, I don't know how much off-gassing it undergoes. I know the whole idea is for visibility, but you could store this box in another archival box that is made to actually skim such gasses and absorb them. But lots of materials in general, especially woods (plywood, etc), and modern construction materials that undergo heavy chemical processing - one must be cautious! I always advise to turn to conservators on stuff like this.

Edited by Dieter3