Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hello!

Here I have a death certificate of Hans Eberhard Steffens.

He´s got a stomach wound and died the same day in the San.Kp. 266 of that division.

The 1.Garde-Res.Div. stood in line towards Bapaume against the british II. army corps and the australian/New Zealand I.army corps

Hi Chris!

Unfortunately there ain´t no infos about the regiment.

In 1917 the 1.GRD constisted of 1st Garde-Res.Rgt; 2nd Garde-Res.Rgt. and 64.Res.Rgt.

I didn´t find him in the casualty reports

I don´t think, that a soldier of the Feldrekruten-Depot was sent into action.. Maybe someone has the Divisional-history of that division

Hi,

I have a couple of Militärpass where there are combat entries for the Feldrekrutendepot. Not all soldiers there were combat virgins.

Sometimes the Divisional Sturmkompagnies seem to be detached en block from a Regiment, but I think it durchaus possible that Instructors or combat experienced men attached to the Feldrekrutendepot were also attached to the Divisions Sturmkompagnie, they more than anyone were better trained than average, and also needed to be experianced in the latest tactics.

I agree it much more likely that he was from a regiment, but would not exclude that he may be from the training group.

Ah, ok. I think,m we have to wait, until themissing casualty reports will be published

Hi,

Going through ancestry, seems to be quite a few guys from the Alpenkorps Rekrutendepot killed in action while still being part of the depot.

Interesting, Chris. I never thought that. Maybe they were killed by an artillery attack. But I don´t think, it happened in the front line