News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nicholas II medal bar

JapanX

Thank you. It is quite difficult to find photos of Nicholas II wearing his medal bar after he added the anniversary medals to it.

Most photos of him seen in history books printed in the U.S., even in the chapters dealing with World War One, are frequently older pre-war pictures showing him wearing his “basic” set of five medals. This is probably not as big a sin as the American television networks showing photos of George V and saying it was Nicholas. (The stupidest such error I’ve ever seen was when the evening news once billed a portrait of Edward VII as the tsar back at the time of the reburials of the royal family!)

About twenty-five years ago, a collector friend decided to reproduce the Tsar’s more common medal mounting when he realized that he already owned all of the individual pieces he needed. (Apparently, the deciding factor for him was the monarch’s monogram on the Danish order; since it changes with each new reign, it was pure luck that he owned the same style cross that Nicholas had been awarded…) The final mounting would never fool a collector and was probably a silly thing to do but it does look cool hanging on a wall next to a large chromolith of the tsar.

Regards

The pic in post #6 darn near made me fall out of my chair...

The tsar in a German uniform and the kayser in a Russian uniform... Dang! :o

A very cool and unusual photo. The two of them seemed to get together on naval occasions much more frequently than for military events or maneuvers.

I've been taking note of photos of the two of them in uniforms, both together and singly, for fifty years and I've not seen the photo in post #6 before. It's never been hard to find pix of them playing sailors, but soldiers? There are of course some train platform "Hello Cousin" full dress pictures, but not this one until now. Bravo for showing it.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

What superb pics you are showing! :love: I am especially interested in the Tsar's decoration in 1913 in Berlin with King George V. The Tsar was Chef and in the uniform of Kaiserlich HR 8. There were 4 breast decorations here. #1 (NW) was unfortunately blurry. #2 (NE) was either St Andrew or Greek Erlöser (maternal uncle was George I of Greece). #3 (S) was definitely Order of the Garter. What was #4? I see this same award on the internet. Of course, the coloring doesn't have to be correct. The other German decorations in the 1913 pic were standard fare: SAO with Collane, RAO neck order and Hohenzollern Hausorden neck decoration

For comparison, I attach Nicolas II in naval uniform with Order of the Garter, St Andrew and Greek Erlöser.

Then another wonderful pic of him with Order of the Garter during very formal occassion when the Collane was worn with "Big George" the pendant, here presumably he was in British Hussar uniform.

Last but not least, for risk for being a bit off topic, King George with the Shah was wearing for bruststern Order of the Garter (N), Order of the Thistle (W), Royal Victorian Order (S). Not sure about E.

In the first post, as I am no expert in Russian medals, can someone tell me what the 7 medals were between the St Valdimir and the Dannebrog were?

Cheers

Freiherr

Then another wonderful pic of him with Order of the Garter during very formal occassion when the Collane was worn with "Big George" the pendant, here presumably he was in British Hussar uniform.

Freiherr

Not a British hussar uniform, which always had six rows of lace for the regiments in the regular army. I think it is the uniform of one of the (Russian) Guard Hussar regiments. Here is a picture of Prince Jaime de Borbon who served in one of them, the Grodno Hussars, for comparison.

jacquier_bourbon_big.jpg

In the first post, as I am no expert in Russian medals, can someone tell me what the 7 medals were between the St Valdimir and the Dannebrog were?

2 French Croix de guerre 1914–1918

3 Alexander III Coronation (1883)

4 Alexander III Reign Commemorative (1896)

5 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Poltava (1909)

6 100th Anniversary of the Patriotic War (1912)

7 300th Anniversary of the House of Romanoff (1913)

8 200th Anniversary of the See Battle of Gangut (1914)

Best,

Nick

Thank you all.

The one remainig bit of mystery... this steckkreuz. Almost looks like a Hochzeit Erinnerungszeichen. Nicolas's maternal Grandparents Christian IX and Luise's 1892 Golden Weddinng medal was a ribbon decoration though. And it had the cypher C interwined with L. The Baden Wedding Anniversary was on the other hand a steckkreuz.

Cheers

Elwyn

Edited by freiherr