News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi. I'm hoping there's someone who can help me? I'm doing some research on a family member who was part of the Northern Rhodesia Police Force during the 1950's. His name is Alexander Dodding and he was a member of Swansea Police(PC 73). He left for Northern Rhodesia in April/May 1953. I would be very grateful for any information and/or records.

Thank you.

Smartie - welcome to GMIC (for the second time - he was on the blog section). Hopefully our members will be

able to assist - both for his origins with Swansea Police and Northern Rhodesia.

Try looking back on the Badges section above and also on the South African - just below. Both have had considerable

input on both Northern Police and the BSAP. Perhaps you could contact some of the writers ? Mervyn

Alexander Dodding, born c 1931 sailed from London on the 17th June 1953 for Capetown en route to Northern Rhodesia in the service of whose Government he had been appointed an Assistant Inspector of Police.His UK address was recorded as 2 Union Street,Swansea.

Perhaps of marginal interest -

according to the passenger manifest for the Warwaick Castle on which your man went out to Capetown,prior to the 5 day rail trip up to Livingstone,there was only one other NR Policeman,one C H Lewis aged 28.He apparently resigned in 1954,reasons unknown.New recruits,if they went out by sea,usually went in drafts of anything up to a dozen although by the early 1950s air travel was becoming the norm.

From my sources I have been unable to locate anything further on the careers ( which could well have been short and eventfull) or movements of either Dodding or Lewis.