News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with this sword please

FOR VALOUR

David

Japanese swords are a very specialized field and there are a number of considerations which go into valuing one:

the age and maker of the blade [some are cebnturies old] - which can only be told by dismounting the blade to look for markings;

whether the handle is newer - they often are;

whether the attachments are original; and, of course;

condition.

I think I see a mark on the blade - very bad - and the copper badn on the handle is a new feature to me, but I have only a casual knowledge of these. Look up 'katana' on Wiki for a good general discussion of the swords and then I'd suggest you send your photos to Sword Forum International to see whether any of their expert members can answer your question.

Peter

This is a WWII NCO sword so not an ancient blade but rather a machine made one. Handle is aluminum. The prices for these are quite inflated, they're worth around $350 to $400. and you'll see them for anywhere from that range to $500. and even $700. Of course I could ask $1,200 for mine but that is not really what it would be worth. True died-in-the-wool ancient blade collectors consider these as garbage, however those of us who appreciate the history of the WWII Japanese blade think they are treasures in themselves.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian

Sir,

Many thank's for the help and information, I asked because I was offered it for £150 no scabbard from a friend but it's not my field again my thanks.

Regards David

Edited by FOR VALOUR

• 3 months later...

I have a similar sword. The markings on the copper band are slightly different, it has the same triangle made up of circles but different Japanese characters before it. I often wonder whether these may have been the NCO's name. Unfortunately I can't get the detail with my camera.

• 1 year later...

Hi David, The sword is as has been stated an NCO pattern.  The price about what I would expect and scabbards are available on an infrequent basis on E Bay.  One word of warning though, a lot of these have come in from China in the last few years so beware!!

Cheers Michael