News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

July 1954, end of the French phase of the Indochina War

Hello readers.

On the 20.July 1954 in Geneva the treaty between France and the Democratic Republic of Vietnam to end hostilities was signed. The Republic of Vietnam and the USA were not part of this agreement which included a division of the country based on the 17th parallel.

The losses to the French forces including those of the associated states of Laos and Cambodia were close to

173,000 of which 94,500 were killed in action or missing and not returned from captivity.

Of the French or associated personnel who became prisoners ,or a total of 36,979 only 10,754 returned after the end of hostilities

The highest losses were those of Vietnamese personnel of whom just slightly more than 9% only, returned.from captivity.

Without wanting to get more into statistics the returned personnel to a very large extent required hospitalization .

This writer was part of a reception detachment to render military honors to those lucky to return to Haiphong in one transport. The vast majority had to be removed from the transport ship on stretchers to be conveyed via ambulance to hospitals.

Even though the above mentioned agreements made stipulations that no one wanting to relocate would be prevented from doing so, our unit was called upon on several occasions to give protection to Vietnamese civilians who wanted to relocate. I remember well entire village populations, some times with their priest at their head, boarding U.S. or French ships for the journey south.

French forces left during 1955 for the south of Vietnam and left for France or North Africa in 1956.

This short account is placed in memory of all French or associated personnel, military and civilian who lost their lives.

Bernhard H. Holst

deployed in Vietnam from 1951 to 1953 and again from 1954 to 1956

Hello:

Bernard Fall in his book "Street without Joy" gives for French Union Forces as dead or missing 75,867

- for Indochina States 18,714 dead or missing.

I do not know the exact differentiation , the total of 94,581 comes close to the 100,000 dead which is a total one sees oftentimes.

The " Dictionnaire de la Guerre D'Indochine 1945 - 1954" by Jacques Dalloz has me somewhat puzzled by the following paragraph" Du cote des forces de L'Union francaise on peut donner des statistiques assez precises concernant les combattants non indochinois. Au sein du corps expeditionnaire, les morts se repartissent ainsi:

18,000 Francais,

9,000 legionnaires, 8,000 Maghrebins ( north-africans ), 2,800 Africains. Parmi les metropolitains, il s'agit dans la majorite des cas de tues au combat. Pour les trois autres categories priment les autre causes de deces ( accident, maladies, mort de suite des de blessures ou dans les camps).

I read this as a statement that most of the 18,000 French dead, died in action which was not the case for the three other categories ( legionnaires, North-Africans and Africans ) for whom the main causes were accidents, illness, death of wounds or in prison camps).

He gives the total of deaths as 100,000 including Indochinese personnel.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thanks again, Bernhard. Dalloz's comments seem a little strange, don't they? Unless the Maghrebiens and other Africans were not used as combat troops, why would they have avoided combat deaths? Certainly I would expect that the Legionnaires would have been in the front lines - how did they escape combat deaths? On the other hand, why would the French have avoided death by disease? And no breakdown of Indochinese cause of deaths (about 40,000+), whom you have discussed many times in previous posts as being on the front lines.

Perhaps we'll never know the real answers.

Best,

Hugh

Thanks again, Bernhard. Dalloz's comments seem a little strange, don't they? Unless the Maghrebiens and other Africans were not used as combat troops, why would they have avoided combat deaths? Certainly I would expect that the Legionnaires would have been in the front lines - how did they escape combat deaths? On the other hand, why would the French have avoided death by disease? And no breakdown of Indochinese cause of deaths (about 40,000+), whom you have discussed many times in previous posts as being on the front lines.

Perhaps we'll never know the real answers.

Best,

Hugh

Hello Hugh.

I take it that you share my take on the Dalloz writing. It seems difficult to obtain itemized figures as to the origin or the affiliated formations of all those who died. In any case all those who served and had to give their lives regardless of the cause of death deserve our consideration and recognition as good soldiers.

BTW: a note for all readers: all books by Bernard Fall are well worth reading

Bernhard H. Holst